Brewing Facts as quotes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my site but with a considerable lack of imagination and a truly horrendous lack of recall I need help.

I've got random beer quotes such things as :-"Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.”-- Anon but I'd like to have short brewing related facts. For example (not a good one) "Happy Yeast makes good Beer" hopefully you get the general idea.

I'd really appreciate any you care to contribute.

Many Thanks. aamcle

Are you looking for trivia ("hops were not widely used in brewing until the 13th Century") or one-liner brewing tips ("avoid a mess, use a blowoff tube!")?

Or both?

Just thought of one

Airlock activity is never a substitute for a hydrometer.

Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-not religious for the record ;) And I know this is a misquote or paraphrase or whatever but it's still good.

Allow me to consult my Alternate Tagline files...

“Beer's intellectual. What a shame so many idiots drink it.”
Ray Bradbury, The October Country

The best thing about home brewing is it makes my alcoholism seem like a cool hobby.

Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!" - Martin Luther

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline; it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
- Frank Zappa

"As a professional brewer, you have committed to a life of relative sobriety... there is nothing more detrimental and harmful to the art of brewing than the drunken brewer. I know it may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. It's true."

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days.
-- W. C. Fields, "My Little Chickadee"

You first parents of the human race... who ruined yourself for an apple, what might you have done for a truffled turkey?
-- Brillat-savarin, "Physiologie du Gout"

And I'll leave you with:
“A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.”
Dorothy L. Sayers, Gaudy Night "

laughing.gif

"Did you know if you mixed equal parts of gasoline and corn sugar you can make malt liquor? That's right. One can make all kinds of headache inducing concoctions using simple household items if one were so inclined.

“A lady came up to me one day and said 'Sir! You are drunk', to which I replied 'I am drunk today madam, and tomorrow I shall be sober but you will still be ugly.”
― Winston S. Churchill

“I drink to make other people more interesting.”
― Ernest Hemingway

“She was the third beer. Not the first one, which the throat receives with almost tearful gratitude; nor the second, that confirms and extends the pleasure of the first. But the third, the one you drink because it's there, because it can't hurt, and because what difference does it make?”
― Toni Morrison, Song of Solomon

You could also do some brewing-based religious quotes.

The Quran 05:06 (Surah al-Ma’idah) “Hop does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to bestow His Grace"

The Bible Psalms 34:8 "Taste and see that the HOP is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."

Buddha: "Hop is the greatest gift, Hop the greatest wealth, Hop the best relationship."

"Beer is an improvement on water itself." - Grant Johnson

"Fermentation and civilization are inseparable." - John Ciardi

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world." - Kaiser Wilhelm

"There can't be good living where there is not good drinking." - Ben Franklin

"Here's to the heart that fills as the bottle empties." - Anonymous

"History flows forward in rivers of beer." - Anonymous

"Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!" - Bill Owen

Thanks for your all help :)

It's up and running if not entirely finished www.frankenbrew.co.uk but then they are never finished.

Please let me know if you find and errors, there will be some even though its all basic stuff rather than advanced techy.

if you can link to it Id appreciate it.

Many Thanks aamcle

Hunter S. Thompson: "There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says ‘Good people drink good beer.’ Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad people drink bad beer. Think about it."

Edgar Allen Poe: "Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.”

William Shakespeare: “For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”

Stephen King: “A man who lies about beer makes enemies.”

Ray Bradbury: “Beer’s intellectual. What a shame so many idiots drink it.”

Jack Nicholson: “Beer, it’s the best damn drink in the world.”