Brewing Classic Styles Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSmith

Reaction score
I'm confused about the partial mash option on page 165, Cerveza De Malo Seca Stout. It reads,

"Reduce the English extract to 3.6 lbs. British pale ale malt."

I'm not sure how much English Pale Ale LME and how much British pale ale malt the receipe is really calling for. Please check you book and reply if it makes sense to you.

Thanks,
Doug

Taking a quick look at the numbers, if you reduce the extract to 3.6lb and then mash the grains along with the 2lbs of 2 row you'll stay in the O.G. range at about 80% efficiency. I think that little blurb about British Pale malt is misplaced and misleading.

I brewed this a while back as a pm and it makes an awesome dry stout. I think it's supposed to read use 3.6 lbs english liquid extract and mash 2 lbs 2row with the flaked barley and black roasted barley. I ran the roasted barley in my coffee grinder like the write up suggests and it really helps mainly with the color. I brewed it another time all grain and with a normal crush and it definitely wasn't as dark as before.

Thanks for the help. The responses totally answer my question.

For partial mash, I'm going to use 3.6 lb of the specified LME and 2 lb of 2 row with the specialty grains. It makes sense because adding 2 lb of the 2 row at 70% efficiency equals the gravity points from the 1.4 lb of LME subtracted from the original 5 lb LME.

Doug

Back