Brewing Blind Tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gfei

Reaction score
So I just finished sparging and went to take a pre boil gravity reading. Instead of adding the wort to the test jar then dropping in the hydrometer I put the hydrometer in the jar first. Except it slipped and dropped into the empty jar and cracked...:mad:

Looks like I'm winging it tonight.

Looks like wort, smells like wort... good enough for me! :drunk:

that's the problem... this is my second all grain batch and I'm using a new MLT (the old one was way small and couldn't hold heat for crap).

You could pull off a cup and a half of wort and save until you get your new hydrometer and test it then. Make sure to put it in a sanitized container and stick it in the fridge. Then you could just test in the future to see your results for your notes.

Well, if it makes you feel any better I brewed nearly a year without ever taking a reading. But to my defense I was a rookie, didn't know about HBT, and I was usually too drunk (I was in college) to really care. lol. I still made 100% drinkable and I might venture to say good beer. Now I have a little more sense. I always keep a spare for those "Oh crap..." moments.

This isn't nearly as exciting as I thought it'd be. I thought the hydrometer was going to scratch your retina, yet you keep going.

I thought he had built a "brewing blind" - a little hut in the woods where he could keep a lookout for the SWMBO while brewing.

mcnary_NWR_duck_blind_2005.jpg

Back