Brewing birch sap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andres Falconer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As it happens, I now find myself with an ample supply of fresh birch water/sap. A tree snapped in half during a storm, thus we have been tapping it ruthlessly, with 12 spiles, since it's going to die anyway. The result is about 15l (3.3 gallons)/day. We drank all we could, gave away buckets to family and friends and even boiled a good amount down into syrup. Obviously, my interest has also turned into fermenting the stuff into something. There are recipes out there for birch "beers" and "wines". I wasn't too thrilled with any of the recipes I saw, but when the sap started coming out of my ears (and some of it soured - we don't have freezer space), it was time to get brewing... I found this online: Birch sap recipes – Woodland Ways Blog – Bushcraft and Survival and tried both recipes. I'm curious to know your thoughts on them.

Birch sap "wine"
4.5 liters Birch Sap
200g chopped raisins
1kg sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
General purpose yeast.

Boil the sap soon after collecting, add the sugar and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the raisins to a fermenting bucket and pour on the boiling sap/sugar mixture and lemon juice. Start the yeast in a cup with some sugar and warm water and add to the mixture. Cover the container and leave to ferment for 3 days then strain off into a demijohn and seal with an airlock. Leave in a warm room until the fermentation has stopped. Filter the wine to remove the sediment and bottle into clean, sterilized bottles. Cork and leave for at least a month but six months is even better.

Birch sap "beer"
5 litres birch sap
1.25 kg honey
2 litres of birch twigs
Activated Champagne yeast
Sugar for priming

Boil the sap for 10 minutes then stir in the honey. Cut the twigs up to 10cm lengths and add to the pot. Allow to cool to room temperature and then strain into fermentation bin. Pitch the champagne yeast and leave for 4-7 days until fully fermented. Prime 500ml bottles with half teaspoon of sugar and leave for two weeks before drinking.

My take: birch sap has close to no fermentable sugar, so of course it's the added cane sugar in the "wine" and the honey in the "beer" that will ferment. But what - if anything - does the birch sap add? For the wine recipe, I thought "that's a lot of raisins, and not little lemon juice for 4.5l". That's likely also for flavor, not just for nutrients and pH balance. Instead of general purpose yeast, I used my reliable harvested hornindal kveik. It's been bubbling away beautifully for the past 24 hours.

The birch "beer" recipe is more akin to a mead - though the proportion of honey to water is lower than what I usually see. I never saw any other "birch mead" recipe out there. Does anyone know if it's a thing, and what it's called (and by mead, I mean using actual honey, not birch syrup instead of honey)? I tripled the quantities in the recipe, used some good lime tree (linden) honey. My changes: I boiled the birch/honey with a pinch of Irish moss for a few minutes and skimmed the froth/scum before flameout and adding the twigs. I will also do a staggered yeast nutrient addition, as I usually do with mead. The yeast was Red Star Premier Cuvee, which works for my classic meads. The twigs (fresh, nearly sprouting at this time of the year) are the curious touch for me. I didn't boil them to avoid harsh flavors, but don't really know what to expect in terms of flavors. I have to say the honey-infused twigs smelled lovely when I fished them out of the kettle... So far, no noticeable airlock action after 24 hours. Will check what's going on in the fermenter when I open the lid tomorrow to add the nutrient.

What do you think these will taste like? Any recommendations/changes for these recipes? Do you have any other killer birch sap recipe?

Finally, does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on the books where these recipes came from (Booze for Free, by Andy Hamilton and Wild Food, by Roger Phillips)? I see they're from the world of foragers rather than the more technical homebrewing community, but you can often pick up interesting ideas from that community. Worth buying?

Apologies for the long post - I can keep you updated as these babies develop. And still have fresh sap for a few more days to try new things you might recommend!

Seem to remember that Euell Gibbons had a lot to say about using birch trees for various things. Beer was one of them. Maybe in his book "Stalking the Wild Aspargus" if I remember the title correctly.

How did the experiment work with Birch Sap? I was curious as I've thought about doing same thing with Maple Sap, Maple Sap has twice the sugar content of Birch Sap.
I've been making Maple Syrup for about 40 yrs.
Curious?

How did the experiment work with Birch Sap? I was curious as I've thought about doing same thing with Maple Sap, Maple Sap has twice the sugar content of Birch Sap.
I've been making Maple Syrup for about 40 yrs.
Curious?
The results were... interesting, definitely drinkable, and have improved with age. I did not think too much about the birch "wine" (with raisins and lemons) and the "beer" (with honey and twigs) tasted a bit too harsh (the twigs, for sure) at first, but mellowed out nicely with time. It was a nice experiment but not something I have wanted to repeat. The upside, since I have plenty of other things to drink and these aren't my favorites, is that I've been drinking them up very slowly, so they are aging, something that rarely happens with drinks I enjoy more. As a conversation topic, I often pop open a bottle when I have friends over. Opinions are... very mixed. Then again, not everyone is into the idea of fermenting random stuff.

About brewing with maple sap, there are several threads in this Forum. The general consensus is that it is possible to use it, but you will not get any noticeable maple sap/syrup taste in the final product, and the sugar content is also too low for fermentation, requiring added sugar.

My wife has experimented with some concoctions with naturally soured maple sap (e.g. adding raisins, fruit, mint).

The results were... interesting, definitely drinkable, and have improved with age. I did not think too much about the birch "wine" (with raisins and lemons) and the "beer" (with honey and twigs) tasted a bit too harsh (the twigs, for sure) at first, but mellowed out nicely with time. It was a nice experiment but not something I have wanted to repeat. The upside, since I have plenty of other things to drink and these aren't my favorites, is that I've been drinking them up very slowly, so they are aging, something that rarely happens with drinks I enjoy more. As a conversation topic, I often pop open a bottle when I have friends over. Opinions are... very mixed. Then again, not everyone is into the idea of fermenting random stuff.

About brewing with maple sap, there are several threads in this Forum. The general consensus is that it is possible to use it, but you will not get any noticeable maple sap/syrup taste in the final product, and the sugar content is also too low for fermentation, requiring added sugar.

My wife has experimented with some concoctions with naturally soured maple sap (e.g. adding raisins, fruit, mint).
Thank you for responding so quickly! Although it didn't turn out as expected, I guess we all learned something with your help. I will probably save my syrup for "Cancakes" as my 3 yo grandson says, and waffles!
Thank you once again!

There’s probably a pretty big difference between brewing with sap vs syrup.
I’ve had fermented and distilled B-grade maple syrup that is quite interesting. Not quite a rum, brandy, or anything and the maple definitely came through. It’s not overwhelming though.

There’s probably a pretty big difference between brewing with sap vs syrup.
I’ve had fermented and distilled B-grade maple syrup that is quite interesting. Not quite a rum, brandy, or anything and the maple definitely came through. It’s not overwhelming though.
Here I'd distinguish between brewing with sap or syrup (i.e. making a beer with maple sap instead of water or maple syrup as an additive) versus fermenting syrup, as if you were making mead, replacing honey for maple syrup. The consensus on the former is that it isn't worth the trouble. As for the latter, if that's what you did, @Komodo, I'd be curious to know about your experience, what recipe you used (i.e., gravity of the diluted syrup, whether nutrients are needed, yeast etc.), and what were the results. I never had enough maple syrup floating around to be tempted to try this, but I'm genuinely curious. If it's worth trying, next season I could try boiling down the sap to the required OG rather than all the way down to syrup, thus saving a ton of time and energy $$.

I'm afraid details may be lost to time, but I'll check to see if I can find any. A large quantity of B-grade syrup came my way from someone who makes syrup and I guess this wasn't up to their standards or was old or? Without the notes, I'd guess it was mixed with water and nutrients, and fermented with a goal of ~10%. The distillation beyond that is illegal as far as I know, but I did taste distillate someone made from that. The maple comes through more than you would think, but also not as much as you would think if that makes any sense. It was pretty good, but for the effort it takes to distill anything, I would focus more on fruits like apples, or malts, corn, etc where the final product really stands out as exceptional.

Back