"brewing" beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitRow

Reaction score
Stupid question I guess, but while I was tossing and turning, unable to sleep last night a question popped in my feeble brain. Why is it that we "brew" beer, but simply "make" wine or cider, etc.

Is it the mashing step that turns it into brewing? :confused:

I suppose that's probably the case, since brewing coffee or tea involve steeping things in hot water, as does mashing the grains for beer.

I agree, and there are some people that say they "brew" mead, buy they are really making wine. ( unless perhaps it is a brochet? sp? )

I thought it has to do with the rinsing/soaking/steeping of something in water - like coffee, tea, the mash. You don't do that with wine, mead, cider.

Language is fluid and is always changing and evolving.

Lifdgr ne tufiis nff es whwhelkjn! (That means, "The more you know!" in a future language that hasn't evolved yet. Also, it's not an exact translation. The actual translation is WAY more obscene. Future people are very rude.)

Just to add to this conversation slightly we don't make beer/brew we make wort and the yeast makes the wort beer. We do our part in the process but the yeast makes the magic happen.

I am stealing this quote from Jay G. from the Sour Hour and it stuck with me but he makes a good point. It gave me more respect for the yeast and why we need to make sure we treat the yeast with proper respect.

So we don't grow barley; We make holes in dirt and the barley seeds make barley? We don't make steaks; we feed cows hay and cows make steaks? White labs doesn't make yeast; they make vials and yeast makes yeast?:D

I think the big difference between brewing and making is that in a brewing process compounds are extracted through hot water, coffee, wort, witches potion etc. Wine or mead are devoid of such a process

Back