Brewing Beer with Distiller's Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just brent

Reaction score
Anybody ever brew with red star distillers yeast ran out of yeast and want to brew something it's all I have and wondering what to expect?

Probably fine in something like a very hoppy beer and most likely to behave like kveik, in terms of not much to offer even at high fermentation temperatures. It might even be better than kveik generally, if it lacks that off-putting 'twang'. I say go for it and report back how it goes.

Probably fine in something like a very hoppy beer and most likely to behave like kveik, in terms of not much to offer even at high fermentation temperatures. It might even be better than kveik generally, if it lacks that off-putting 'twang'. I say go for it and report back how it goes.
Who knows? You might be on to the next big thing in homebrewing!

I have brewed cider with it. Just shop bought applejuice, preserved with vitamin C, and it sort of came out drinkable.
I have to admit that this was without any temperature control and temperatures of 40+ oC ;)
I remember finding a bottle in my fridge after a couple months and that one tasted nice.
Just give it a try

Anybody ever brew with red star distillers yeast ran out of yeast and want to brew something it's all I have and wondering what to expect?

I don't know about the Red Star specifically, but most distillery yeasts are POF+ which means they convert phenolic compounds in beer wort into the clove/spicy flavours characteristic of wheat beers.

So expect some of that clove character.

Back