Brewing beer for client gifts, what would be the best styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You typically can't go wrong with a wheat beer. Maybe an American what with some citrusy hops for flavor/aroma.

Macro adjunct lager, natch.

A wheat beer is actually a good idea for a number of reasons – not too intensely flavored, so you shouldn't scare anybody off with the taste, and at least if you're going somewhat in the hefeweisen direction, it's supposed to be cloudy, so the homebrew n00bs won't get an off-style beer when they inevitably just empty the whole thing into their glass or swig straight from the bottle.

Maybe two styles and let them choose? American wheat and a nut brown would be my choices.

You typically can't go wrong with a wheat beer. Maybe an American what with some citrusy hops for flavor/aroma.

Actually, I hate wheat beer. Different strokes and all...

I'd serve them some Centennial Blonde. Now that is a crowd-pleaser.

What's your time frame?

I'm going to need two batches and won't be able to do the first one for another week (only have capacity to brew 5 gallons). So, I'll need to turn the second one around in four weeks (I plan on kegging these and then bottling).

If this is needed shortly then I would agree with a nut brown ale or something in that range. If you have some time then spring to me screams Maibock!

I vote for Hefeweizen over and over again. This the most accepted and complimented beer ive made to date with ever type of drinker

Thanks for all the responses. It seems a wheat beer should certainly be one of the beers based on the responses. Maybe American Wheat is safer than a wit which I brew every year. I was kind of ignoring wheat beers since it wasn't summer but that's probably a good idea.

If that is my safe beer I'm thinking I have some leeway to maybe go with a pale ale. Or, I could completely play it safe and go with an ESB or Nut Brown, as Phunhog recommended for the second.

Thanks for all the responses. It seems a wheat beer should certainly be one of the beers based on the responses. Maybe American Wheat is safer than a wit which I brew every year. I was kind of ignoring wheat beers since it wasn't summer but that's probably a good idea.

If that is my safe beer I'm thinking I have some leeway to maybe go with a pale ale. Or, I could completely play it safe and go with an ESB or Nut Brown, as Phunhog recommended for the second.

A wheat beer will do good but maybe not do well with the females. Hefeweizens are about the most well rounded beer to serve to anyone and expect them to enjoy it. I dont brew them often but they are always the most talked about

How about a California Common ale? Should be quick to turn around, enjoyed by all, and yet kinda unusual.

Saison. I recently won BOS at an office brew-off. Even the non-beer drinkers far preferred the saison over a pale ale and a stout brewed by a pro brewer. Hell yea.

A wheat beer will do good but maybe not do well with the females. Hefeweizens are about the most well rounded beer to serve to anyone and expect them to enjoy it. I dont brew them often but they are always the most talked about

What temp do you ferment it at? I find most commercial examples overpowering with banana, which is why I started drinking, and brewing, more wits.

Edit: you are kind of convincing. A beer with some strong yeast characteristics might be good.

Saison. I recently won BOS at an office brew-off. Even the non-beer drinkers far preferred the saison over a pale ale and a stout brewed by a pro brewer. Hell yea.

Definitely a drinkable style, but the last time I brewed it fermentation lasted 5 weeks, maybe 6 (3724). Damn that's a good beer. I might have to go pour myself one now.

What temp do you ferment it at? I find most commercial examples overpowering with banana, which is why I started drinking, and brewing, more wits.

Edit: you are kind of convincing. A beer with some strong yeast characteristics might be good.

Just keep it middle to high 70's. Are you looking into extract or AG recipes? Saison is also a great beer that most people wouldn't find themselves if they didnt know.

Just keep it middle to high 70's. Are you looking into extract or AG recipes? Saison is also a great beer that most people wouldn't find themselves if they didnt know.

I'll be doing AG. I don't think I can turn a saison around fast enough. My last one was still fermenting out after 5 or 6 weeks. Another week (5 days) to carbonate and I think I'm out of time for that.

I'll be doing AG. I don't think I can turn a saison around fast enough. My last one was still fermenting out after 5 or 6 weeks. Another week (5 days) to carbonate and I think I'm out of time for that.

Yeah that is pretty long. Heres a recipe ive had success with:

5.5lbs Weyermann Pale Wheat MAlt
4 lbs German Pilsner Malt

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes

Boil:
1 oz. German Tattnang @ 60

Yeast:

Yeah that is pretty long. Heres a recipe ive had success with:

5.5lbs Weyermann Pale Wheat MAlt
4 lbs German Pilsner Malt

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes

Boil:
1 oz. German Tattnang @ 60

Yeast:

Thanks, right now I'm thinking it might be a good bet for one batch.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Goes over extremely well with people into craft beer and people who aren't. It's very easy drinking. Keep your temps in the mid-60s and you'll get a very clean tasting beer.

That looks great. I think that vaulted to number 1. Given the number of replies, it seems like the beer version of apfelwein.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll survey my coworkers with all the options and pick the top 2 (as long as centennial blonde is in the top 2).

Just decided to post final comments. I ended up brewing the centennial blonde and an ESB. The gifts were extremely well received and I'm now on the hook for future years.

Next year I may add some appfelwein and will start earlier.

Thanks again for all the input.

I would recommend "light" beers. One thing I have learned by giving people my homebrew, I always have those people that give you this when you say what kind of beer do you like, "I don't like dark beer". This being said I always keep something light on tap for the person that doesn't have an experienced palate for beer. Have you tried taking a pole or have u ever asked what they like? Just my 2 cents.

I would recommend "light" beers. One thing I have learned by giving people my homebrew, I always have those people that give you this when you say what kind of beer do you like, "I don't like dark beer". This being said I always keep something light on tap for the person that doesn't have an experienced palate for beer. Have you tried taking a pole or have u ever asked what they like? Just my 2 cents.

I prefer to give them a Belgian dubbel or Weizenbock. That usually sets the record straight on color.

Ya but u always get that person that no matter what if they see dark they have it made up they don't like it. I have blindfolded buddies to let them taste and they always come back with something like "I hated darks, but that is delicious maybe I'll try some others."

Just decided to post final comments. I ended up brewing the centennial blonde and an ESB. The gifts were extremely well received and I'm now on the hook for future years.

Next year I may add some appfelwein and will start earlier.

Thanks again for all the input.

Glad the beers went over well. I can always count on centennial blonde to appeal to just about everyone and I think you'll find apfelwein to be just as well received.

Latest posts

Back