Brewing and Football...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverevir

Reaction score
So I've seen a lot of threads about brewing in the morning, who's brewing in front or in back, etc... does anyone brew while watching football? Anymore a game takes as long as a batch of beer so it seems like it adds up. Especially now that you can pause the game and come back to it after dough in, hop additions, etc.

Anyone do this and recommend it (or not recommend it)???

What, and miss the game?!?

I am much more about drinking during football rather than making but you could do it. No reason it can't be done.

If there's a screen in the same room that would be a blast. This would be easy for indoor (stovetop/electric) brewers. Patio brewers might might need some extra planning to make it work. I sometimes barbecue while watching the game but that requires less of my attention and time.

I've off and on had a TV in the garage (where I brew), but currently there's no TV in there.

I did brew during the Super Bowl a few years ago. We weren't having an event, and the TV was out there, so I figured it would be a good time. I think that was the Seattle one where they lost throwing the ball late in the 4th when everyone [wrongly] criticized them for not running it.

I made a milk stout while the packers lost in last years playoffs. Wish I had made something that would have aged a little better, so I could savor that moment a little more.

The stout turned out pretty good, though.

Speaking of football, is your avatar Williams Brice stadium?

Good eye, sir!! Yes it is... Been a fan over 30 years. Love going to the games because I park near Conquest brewing and can get great craft beer before and after the game, win or lose.

I brew during NFL games because I'm not as tied into the league (barring fantasy football). On Saturday's I don't brew because I have to watch my Gators beat up the SEC East ;)

Yeah, I like brewing and watching football.

I used to brew early Saturday mornings, so after watching sports highlights the only thing on were old re-runs of The Rifleman on AMC.

But there's something about sports, cold weather, and any outdoor activity. Football might as well be it!

When the NFL goes to Europe the game starts on the west coast at like 6-6:30. I try to make one of those games an early brew day and watch the game in the garage. Last year had a couple buddies over and did a collab brew and made some tacos on the BBQ before the rest of the family even woke up. It was a lot of fun.

I used to have a tv where I brewed but since we moved the house isn't as open so I can't see it from the deck or kitchen.
I used to brew during football all the time. It's hard to get away with, "I'm going brew then watch a football game" with 2 little kids running around. Now I brew and try to get the kids involved or clean something so it seems like I'm multitasking :D

Since I brew extract, I am in the kitchen. I will have a game on in the other room. Just won't brew when the Eagles are on. Frustration makes me forget about hop additions and boil times.

I totally get not doing it while your team is on, but some of the 4pm slots in the NFL get brutal.

Hop addition per touchdown is a great idea... get some high scoring teams and chase the IBU's! You could do hop additions during a Phil Simms' broadcast and hit it for every "talked about" too... that'd be a hoppy ass beer.

I'm from Cincinnati but the Bengals are trash so I stopped rooting for them, hence I have no team. Fantasy is the only thing keeping me interested in the sport at all. That being said, I usually still use Sundays as an excuse to sit on the couch for 8 hours or so and drink beer and eat, moving as little as possible. Never brewed during football Sunday before.

Well I am a new home brewer with just 3 batches under my belt, so this is the first football season for me to brew with. I have a nice setup out back with a roof covered porch, my Big Green Egg, TV mounted, and a table for all my brew stuff. So this Saturday will be my first football brew day. Plan on putting a pork butt on the egg bright and early, then start the brewing when the games start!! :)

That sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday- count me as jealous that I don't have a mounted tv or a big green egg. I just might be cooking up a few pork butts though...

I usually brew on Saturdays during the Buckeyes games, and literally do nothing except watch Sunday ticket(mainly Texans)/keep up to date on my fantasy scores/cook and drink on Sundays. It's literally the best. Never tried brewing during the 4 o clock games. Maybe I'll give it a shot at some point.

@MapleGroveAleworks it could be worse, you could root for the other Ohio team.

Those poor Browns fans. I almost want to root for them just because those fans have to be the most frustrated people ever, but they're the team that makes me feel better about my team when we go and have another mediocre season.

Latest posts

Back