Brewing a wheat beer with Brett??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaNcOcK25

Reaction score
As anyone ever tried making a sour wheat brew? Can it be done? Will Brett ferment with that kind of brew?

Brett will eat anything that Sacc will eat and also many of the starches and longer sugars that regular yeast won't/can't eat. In fact, many sour beers are made with wheat (lambics, beliners, of the top of my head)

Thanks for the info! Good to kno. Cause me and my brother brewed a lemon wheat on Thursday and still not really fermenting like I thought it would with brett

When you pitch only brett, and it sounds like that's what you did, you really need to overpitch. Otherwise it's going to take a very, very long time to ferment out.

When you pitch only brett, and it sounds like that's what you did, you really need to overpitch. Otherwise it's going to take a very, very long time to ferment out.

Not being combative, are you sure? Everything I've read about 100% Brett beers is that the ferment goes very quickly, almost exactly like Sacc except usually a little slower to clear.

Back