Brewing a wheat beer...but I think my recipe needs work. Please help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonaBigMac

Reaction score
Could anyone please fill in the holes here? I have all of the ingredients. It involves extract, as you can see (which is new to me). However, this recipe is missing some pieces, I think. I'm not experienced enough yet to freelance this one. If you could simply add in the pieces that this recipe is missing, I'd love to do this tomorrow afternoon. Any help is great.

Easy to Follow, Step-by-Step instructions
6 lbs. Wheat extract
8 oz Crystal 10
1 oz Willamette Hops
3/4 Cup Corn Sugar for Priming
55 Crown Caps
11 g Hefeweizen Dry Yeast

-------------------------

Starting Gravity: 1.044
Fermentation Temperature: 65-75 F
Finishing Gravity: 1.012-1.014
Bittering Units:
Alcohol by Volume: 4.2%
Color: 3 SRM

Directions:

• Fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply heat.
  • When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat and stir in the extract.
  • After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through a strainer into the large brew pot.
  • Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
  • Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil. Watch for boilovers!
  • Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first hop package.
  • Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
  • Maintain the boil for one hour, adding hops as per recipe.
  • When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool to the touch.
  • Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
  • Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.

It's not really "missing" anything... that will make a wheat beer. Of course, as with all cooking, there are a million variants on a style. But if that's what you have, brew it.

I haven't moved on to partial mash, but if I learned something...try to maintain 155F when steeping your grains. Research a bit on the dry yeast as there may be a more specific temp to ferment to get a good mix of banana/clove flavor that most hefe beers are known for. Don't forget to rehydrate the yeast and possibly make a starter just to get the fermentation starting strong.

Like Evrose said, it's all really depending on how you really want to make it.

My question is mainly this: Am I steeping the grains in a separate pot, then adding them to the extract/water mix? Also, my last batch used dry yeast, pitched straight into the fermenter. No starter was required. The IPA turned out great. Also, the 155-degree comment was perfect, as that was another item I was missing.

I just think those directions went from Step 1 to Step 4 and skipped some important info. For a novice like me, I can't really fill in the holes easily. So, it should basically be:

1. Add extract to water, heat up and steep grains at 155 degrees
  2. Strain grains again into same pot, discard grains
  3. Boil the stuff, add hops periodically
  4. Cool the wort, add water to get to 5 gallons
  5. Pitch yeast, mix up a bit
  6. Put in fermenter
  7. Set airlock and blowoff tube
  8. Leave it alone for 4 weeks

Sound about right?

I would steep the grains in the 155 degree water without extract, take out the grain bag, then ramp up the heat to boil and add extract. That way you won't lose extract sugar in the water absorbed by the grains.

Ah, got it. So...

1. Heat up and steep grains (in muslin bag) at 155 degrees
  2. Strain grains again into same pot (using additional, heated water), discard grains
  3. Add extract to water
  4. Boil the stuff, add hops periodically
  5. Cool the wort, add water to get to 5 gallons
  6. Pitch yeast, mix up a bit
  7. Put in fermenter
  8. Set blowoff tube
  9. After 3-4 days, set up the airlock and walk away...
  10. Leave it alone for 4 weeks

About right?

Back