Brewing a Pale Ale - suggest hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to brew a quick easy drinking Pale Ale for an upcoming party using Lutra Kveik yeast fermenting on the cooler side @ 70-75°f. This will be my first time fermenting in a corny keg. I have a bunch of different hops I can use for whirlpool and dry hop and just looking for ideas.

My plan is for around 35-40 ibu's, ~5.5 - 5.75%

Maris Otter 44%
Vienna Malt 25.6%
Munich I 22.6%
Torrified Wheat 7.7%

.21oz. Magnum @ 60mins.
1oz. Citra @ 10mins.
1oz. Citra whirlpool 20 mins. @ 175°
1oz. ???? whirlpool 20 mins. @ 175°
1oz. Citra dry hop
1oz. ???? dry hop
1oz. ???? dry hop

In addition to the Citra, the other hops I'm considering are: Galaxy, El Dorado, Strata, Azacca, Mosaic LupoMax, Sabro LupoMax, Rakau, Cascade, Zappa, TRI230cr, and HBE-472. I'm aiming for something with a bit of clean bitterness, (Magnum), but also leaning towards fruity/tropical flavor that most folks would enjoy.

I also have other hops including Nectaron but I'm saving those for another brew.

Hop suggestions welcomed.

Mosaic, El Dorado, Strata, or Azacca, but I would skip Lutra and use something (anything) else. You don't need the 60 min addition either, if you're looking for a fruity, tropical pale ale.
Ordinarily I wouldn't use Lutra, but I need to turn this around quickly, and I already have another beer fermenting under temperature control. I'll ferment as cool as I can to hopefully get a cleaner finish. As far as the Magnum, my thinking is I just want a slight bitterness, hence the .21 oz, (per Beersmith 8.5 ibu's). I suppose I could drop that and just add a little more Citra @ 10 mins, currently at 24.1 ibu's per BS. As far as the other hops my thinking was along the same lines as the four you mentioned.

Or just entirely Cascade.

Though with that yeast choice, it might not matter!

Sorry, just kidding, I've never used Kveik of any sort. One day I'll try it. Maybe it'll surprise me and change my mind!

Ordinarily I wouldn't use Lutra, but I need to turn this around quickly, and I already have another beer fermenting under temperature control. I'll ferment as cool as I can to hopefully get a cleaner finish. As far as the Magnum, my thinking is I just want a slight bitterness, hence the .21 oz, (per Beersmith 8.5 ibu's). I suppose I could drop that and just add a little more Citra @ 10 mins, currently at 24.1 ibu's per BS. As far as the other hops my thinking was along the same lines as the four you mentioned.
I'd keep it simple if you're adamant with your grain bill and just use Mosaic. It won't be tropical, but it will be citrusy and clean. Magnum for bittering works too.

I'd keep it simple if you're adamant with your grain bill and just use Mosaic. It won't be tropical, but it will be citrusy and clean. Magnum for bittering works too.
The recipe is based on Da Yooper's Pale Ale which I've made before and enjoyed. But this time around I'm dropping the crystal malts, adding a small amount of torrified wheat, and mashing at 154. Also wanted to go a different way regarding the hops. Hers is all Cascade, which I've used in my last two pale ales. And while I enjoy Cascade, I just wanted to go in a different direction this time. Plus I have a bunch of hops in the freezer that aren't getting any fresher, so I need to start using them up. Right now I'm leaning towards Citra and Azacca, but I'm shooting for a Tuesday brew day so I may change my mind, (several times?) by then. ;)

I do a similar pale ale with kveik Voss and find that citra goes well with the citrus tones from the yeast. A small amount of a bittering hop (I use warrior since that is what I have on hand) and then citra for the rest. Does Lutra give a similar citrus flavour when fermented at the higher end of the temperature range?

I do a similar pale ale with kveik Voss and find that citra goes well with the citrus tones from the yeast. A small amount of a bittering hop (I use warrior since that is what I have on hand) and then citra for the rest. Does Lutra give a similar citrus flavour when fermented at the higher end of the temperature range?
I actually have an orange wheat beer kegged now, fermented with Voss. I added the zest from a few Valencia oranges at flame out. Initially quite good, but now has a slight taste of an orange that's a bit past its prime. Weird, I was very careful to use only the zest, no white pith. Anyway it's almost gone.

I've used Lutra on a couple other beers so far. One a pseudo schwarzbier, no notes on fermentation temperature, but it was delicious. The other time was in an Irish Red Ale, fermented at 68° and kegged six days later. That one took a while to come around, but when it did it was quite good. I'm thinking at that fermentation temperature maybe have kegged it too soon. I didn't notice any citrus flavors in either beer.

In my experience, Lutra tends to me more neutral. I don't detect the orange/citrus flavors from it like I do Voss....jmho

Rakau because it sounds like a tasty hop.

Citra, galaxy, mosaic is a common winning combination.

I did galaxy and cascade once and loved it.

I wasn't able to brew this yet due to a few unforeseen random events. Hopefully I'll get at it early next week. Since I'm no longer able to knock this out before the party I'm free to use something other than Lutra. This delay will also give me a chance to change my mind several more times on the hops before I reach a final decision. :D

I've heard good things about BRY-97 yeast and it claims to be high flocculation so should drop bright quicker than US-05. I'm currently trying it for the first time in one of my brews.

Oddly, I have a pack of Lutra also that I'll be trying in the next couple of brews as I haven't used that before either with a recipe out of one of my BYO magazines featuring Archer hops that I have yet to try.

Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. Cheers!

I've heard good things about BRY-97 yeast and it claims to be high flocculation so should drop bright quicker than US-05. I'm currently trying it for the first time in one of my brews.

Oddly, I have a pack of Lutra also that I'll be trying in the next couple of brews as I haven't used that before either with a recipe out of one of my BYO magazines featuring Archer hops that I have yet to try.

Let us know what you go with and how it turns out. Cheers!
My LHBS stocks a few different Lallemand dry yeasts, but not BRY-97. If I go dry I'll probably use Verdant or US-05. If I go liquid I may use WLP001, WLP066 or WLP095. All based on what he currently has in stock.

My Lutra Citra Pale Ale is always a hit and is just a boat load of Citra hops. Hop schedule is:

.75 oz @60
1.25oz @15
1.25oz @10
1.25oz @5
1.25oz @ 0
2.25oz Whirlpool @170

No dryhop as the last time I did in this beer it was really hazy. I've done it with McKenzie and Centennial hops as well, and both of those were also very good beers.

My Lutra Citra Pale Ale is always a hit and is just a boat load of Citra hops. Hop schedule is:

.75 oz @60
1.25oz @15
1.25oz @10
1.25oz @5
1.25oz @ 0
2.25oz Whirlpool @170

No dryhop as the last time I did in this beer it was really hazy. I've done it with McKenzie and Centennial hops as well, and both of those were also very good beers.
What size batch? Surely not 5 gallons!!

I want to brew a quick easy drinking Pale Ale for an upcoming party using Lutra Kveik yeast fermenting on the cooler side @ 70-75°f. This will be my first time fermenting in a corny keg. I have a bunch of different hops I can use for whirlpool and dry hop and just looking for ideas.

My plan is for around 35-40 ibu's, ~5.5 - 5.75%

Maris Otter 44%
Vienna Malt 25.6%
Munich I 22.6%
Torrified Wheat 7.7%

.21oz. Magnum @ 60mins.
1oz. Citra @ 10mins.
1oz. Citra whirlpool 20 mins. @ 175°
1oz. ???? whirlpool 20 mins. @ 175°
1oz. Citra dry hop
1oz. ???? dry hop
1oz. ???? dry hop

In addition to the Citra, the other hops I'm considering are: Galaxy, El Dorado, Strata, Azacca, Mosaic LupoMax, Sabro LupoMax, Rakau, Cascade, Zappa, TRI230cr, and HBE-472. I'm aiming for something with a bit of clean bitterness, (Magnum), but also leaning towards fruity/tropical flavor that most folks would enjoy.

I also have other hops including Nectaron but I'm saving those for another brew.

Hop suggestions welcomed.
I'm sure it will taste good, this is mine, I'm doing a hop stand instead of a whirlpool now

Attachments

• Ozarks Pale Ale_10.02.2022.pdf
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oh yeah. 5 gallons. It's definitely on the APA side of hoppiness, but I've found that Lutra tends to mute hoppy beers. This is an easy drinking standard at our house
Per BJCP guidelines an APA should be between 30-45 ibu's. For my taste buds I find 35-40 ibu's is my happy zone, and where I try to target my pales. When I put the amount of hops you're suggesting, (most of them in the boil), into my recipe in Beersmith I get 127 theoretical ibu's. I don't care what yeast is used that's too far off the charts for me. But everyone has their own preferences, and if it works for you that's all that matters.

Per BJCP guidelines an APA should be between 30-45 ibu's. For my taste buds I find 35-40 ibu's is my happy zone, and where I try to target my pales. When I put the amount of hops you're suggesting, (most of them in the boil), into my recipe in Beersmith I get 127 theoretical ibu's. I don't care what yeast is used that's too far off the charts for me. But everyone has their own preferences, and if it works for you that's all that matters.
you can just reduce the 60 minute on any recipe to lower the ibu

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ! I thought you meant real Pale Ale ... I was going to suggest Bramling cross , East Kent Goldings and Fuggles 😆
The recipe is for a fruit-forward APA, not an English style PA. But I'm sure what you're suggesting would be delicious and something I will definitely brew at some point.

The recipe is for a fruit-forward APA, not an English style PA. But I'm sure what you're suggesting would be delicious and something I will definitely brew at some point.
Why not cut out the middle man and brew it now and make a beer you will want to drink again and again and again rather than a fruit salad that is
I'm betting you dislike Brew Dog beers for sure
Brew dog aren't brewers they are sensationalist reactionary egotists that the sooner go tits up the better ... but that is just me opinion there are many underage alcopop drinkers that love their offerings 😆 😆😆

Back