Brewing a Belgian wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I am looking into brewing a 3gal Belgian wit batch but here the problem I don’t know how many grams of fresh fruit zest to use an how many Camomile flowers or tea bag to use?

I brew 5 gallons . I use 1.25 oz of zest and 1 oz of fresh ground coriander.
Have you been happy with those amounts?
Is that for a 10' steep before flameout and a relatively fast chill after? That sounds like a lot of coriander if ground, but about right if used whole.

Correction:
Thanks for the correction on oval vs. round. Oval seeds are the ones to get, not round ones.
Sorry I mixed them up, and couldn't double check, I toasted and ground the last ones up a while ago.

From what I've read, make sure to use "Indian" type Coriander as you could get in an Indian spice store. They taste lemony and are little round balls, oval shaped seeds, not round balls. The oval round ones, you often get in the supermarket and Walmart, taste more like celery. That's not good for beer. So watch out for that.

Last edited:
Have you been happy with those amounts?
Is that for a 10' steep before flameout and a relatively fast chill after? That sounds like a lot of coriander if ground, but about right if used whole.

From what I've read, make sure to use "Indian" type Coriander as you could get in an Indian spice store. They taste lemony and are little round balls, not oval shaped. The oval ones, you often get in the supermarket and Walmart, taste more like celery. That's not good. So watch out for that.

This is a good point. I prefer Indian coriander in a wit. It's shaped like a football. The stuff from the grocery store (Moroccan?) is round and is the coriander used in hotdogs.

Yes they are indian I believe . Weigh them out and crush . I've tried dried orange peel but found that the Valencia orange peel by Mccormick is way better . The beer is a big hit here . Its no problem for a keg to barely make it 14 days

I'll have to look because I don't remember the shape. One interesting thing is that about 15% of people think coriander taste like dishsoap.

Last edited:
From what I've read, make sure to use "Indian" type Coriander as you could get in an Indian spice store. They taste lemony and are little round balls, not oval shaped. The oval ones, you often get in the supermarket and Walmart, taste more like celery. That's not good. So watch out for that.

Actually, Indian coriander is the oblong (football) one, and is typically available ridiculously cheap at Indian grocers . The supermarket coriander is round.

Some Indian Coriander from my stash:
20200813_075533.jpg

I totally agree that Indian coriander is more lemony/citrusy. To me, the supermarket coriander not only tastes a bit celery-like, but can also cause what to me is a hot dog flavor. Others have described it as ham.

OK so I just got hooked up . I was talking to an nurse who's from India . Her friend grows Indian coriander and yes its oval shaped. She's going to bring me some . Enough to use and plant.

Thanks for the correction on oval vs. round. Oval are the ones to get, not round.

Sorry about that, I wanted to double check last night, but I had toasted and ground whatever I had left a few weeks ago. No whole coriander seed left here.

Back