Brewery suggestions for San Francisco / Santa Rosa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I are taking a trip to San Francisco this fall. One, because I haven't been out there in over twenty years and my wife has never been there. And two, and more importantly, to cross a visit to the Russian River Brewery off my bucket list! We'll have several days in San Francisco, staying in Union Square and using public transportation. We'll also have several days in Santa Rosa with a rental car.

I'm looking for suggestions on breweries/bars to visit at both locations. Russian River tops the list - possibly both locations. I see Lagunitas Brewing is right on the way to Santa Rosa, so that will be a stop, as will Anchor brewing in San Francisco. Beyond that, I'm not familiar with any of the other places in these areas.

We would also like to visit a couple wineries around Santa Rosa, so any suggestions there would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

I would definitely hit up 21st Amendment, Cellarmaker and Laughing Monk. All three have delicious brews as well as the ones you mentioned. Hope you have a great trip!

So many fantastic breweries around Santa Rosa, you could spend the entire time in Sonoma county. Lagunitas, Bear Republic, and Henhouse are definite stops. Old Caz, Fogbelt and Moonlight are less well known but personal favorites.

If you have your own transportation I’d recommend Fieldwork. Not sure if they have one right in San Francisco but their main one is in Berkeley, not too far away. Very good IPAs.

Moonlight, Fogbelt, and Henhouse for sure. The original Russian River location in downtown Santa Rosa can get super busy, even on week nights, but they have a 2nd location just up the road in Windsor. Cooperage does lots of hazies if that's what you're into, and lots of single/double hopped beers for experimentation, but they're all a little too juicy for my liking.

Lived in Berkeley for a few years...
Trumer Pils is cool. Pyramid also fun. My fav brew-pub was Triple Rock.
My tastes back then were very different...
Berkeley is a "relatively" short ride on the BART and a fun day trip from Frisco since you've got a few days.

First off, you’re going to be surprised at what The City looks like from when you’ve last seen it. The pandemic has only worsened things this last year and a half. Be mindful of safety and sanitation (watch your step). That being said, you could look into Anchor Brewing and reserve a tour/tasting. I stick to the East Bay (Oakland/Alameda/Berkeley) Drake’s, 21st Amendment, Faction, Almanac, Fieldwork, Triple Rock. Speisekammer is an awesome German restaurant/bar in Alameda with great food and lots of German beer on tap.
Make sure see the new Russian River facility in Windsor if you can. It’s a spectacle.

Most? Hardly. From what I’m witnessing locally I see most homes for sale are being scarfed up less than 5 days on the market. Almost every one is sold thousands, if not tens of thousands above asking price. New home developments are being built all throughout my county. We moved out here part time in 2007, full time in 2013, and in all that time I’ve never seen homes selling as fast as the past couple years.

It's far but Knee Deep is really good if you like DIPAs. Simtra is every bit as good as PtY to me...

First off, you’re going to be surprised at what The City looks like from when you’ve last seen it. The pandemic has only worsened things this last year and a half. Be mindful of safety and sanitation (watch your step). That being said, you could look into Anchor Brewing and reserve a tour/tasting. I stick to the East Bay (Oakland/Alameda/Berkeley) Drake’s, 21st Amendment, Faction, Almanac, Fieldwork, Triple Rock. Speisekammer is an awesome German restaurant/bar in Alameda with great food and lots of German beer on tap.
Make sure see the new Russian River facility in Windsor if you can. It’s a spectacle.
Oakland just had an attempted robbery of a camera crew in full daylight while interviewing the "Violence Prevention" Chief couple weeks ago. Ironic. 20 Years ago I watched where I parked my truck in Berkeley for longer than 20 mins, can't imagine it's gotten any better.

Thanks for all the great info - gives me a lot to look at!

Sorry to hear the pandemic has caused so many issues. I guess we're fortunate to have come through it "mostly" unscathed.

SonomaBrewer, I'd checked out the Fieldworks website after BongoYodeler recommended them and saw their locations. Corte Madera will work great; we can hit Fieldworks and Lagunitas on our way to Santa Rosa.

Good to know on Russian River, although we're on vacation so we could get there at 11:00 when they open!. I'd like to visit the Windsor location; looks like they're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays right now, but open otherwise. They are not offering tours right now, but I'm hoping maybe by the fall. Does anyone know if the tours are in Santa Rosa / Windsor / both? I didn't see any info on that on their site.

I'll have to pace myself so we can hopefully see more than just breweries - could be a challange!

Thanks again for all your help!

Never been to the new location but I have been to the Santa Rosa location several times. I'm quite sure they don't do tours there. Something of note - a couple times I've visited Santa Rosa, (probably depends on the time of day), the line for merch and beer-to-go was longer than the line to get in to sit at a table. Don't get in the wrong line....guess how I know!! :D

Something of note - a couple times I've visited Santa Rosa, (probably depends on the time of day), the line for merch and beer-to-go was longer than the line to get in to sit at a table. Don't get in the wrong line....guess how I know!! :D
Good to know. I'll probably want to be in both lines; I'm sure I'll need a souvenir or two! :yes:

Back