Brewery GFCI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronking0118

Reaction score
I have a 240v electric brewing system. What is the best practice to ensure GFCI protection?

Truly best is a GFCI breaker subpanel off your main panel. Ie: a Spa panel shutoff

National standards and the type of equipment used are different, but here in Norway and most of Europe the standard is circuit breakers with integrated GFCI of 30mA.
30mA is just below the average threshold for deadly shock so going higher is not recommended or may be illegal depending on location.
Dont buy some cheap aftermarket solution since the chances that the coil inside could become magnetized and seize is higher. Then you are back to having no protection. They should come a test button, who upon use also demagnetize the inner workings and ensure proper operation. Even high end ones should be tested at least once yearly, with some manufacturers recommending monthly testing.
As a certified electrician I would highly recommend that you consult with a local electrician to find a safe solution.

National standards and the type of equipment used are different, but here in Norway and most of Europe the standard is circuit breakers with integrated GFCI of 30mA.
30mA is just below the average threshold for deadly shock so going higher is not recommended or may be illegal depending on location.
Dont buy some cheap aftermarket solution since the chances that the coil inside could become magnetized and seize is higher. Then you are back to having no protection. They should come a test button, who upon use also demagnetize the inner workings and ensure proper operation. Even high end ones should be tested at least once yearly, with some manufacturers recommending monthly testing.
As a certified electrician I would highly recommend that you consult with a local electrician to find a safe solution.

here in the united states, essentially every ground fault protective device in a residential setting is a "class a" gfci, as defined by ul. these breakers trip at much lower current levels compared to europe, only 4-6 mA. there are class c (and other) types of gfci but these are not at all common in residential locations, typically limited to specialized applications such as certain types of electric restive heat tracing cables (freeze protection).

Wayne1 offers a link for a 20A unit (only $60!) but it may not suffice depending on element wattage.

This 30A portable GFCI (5mA trip) for ~$170 is probably considerably cheaper than paying an electrician to install a GFCI breaker in your panel. Self-installed, a panel breaker is doubtless cheaper. Also, an in-line GFCI goes with you if/when you move.

Not sure if this is best, but it was best for me. I had to run a new circuit for my brew station anyway, so I put a GFCI breaker in my main panel.

Hire a licensed electrician to install the receptacle, wiring and GFCI breaker in your panel.

Back