Brewers yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcbobs

Reaction score
Quick question.... I use a lot of brewers yeast from the health food store for one if my other hobbies so I usually have quite a bit of it laying around at any one time.

My question is would brewers yeast be a decent enough yeast nutrient in a pinch? From my understanding, it is dead dried yeast and has a ton of nutritional value for humans. Is there any reason why it would be bad for the live teas ties we use in our beer?

Not sure what "live teas ties" is. As you said, Brewer's yeast sold in healtfood stores is dead yeast. You can't use it as your active yeast. I have read that if used in homebrew it provides nutrients to our little alcohol/CO2 making yeast cannibals.

Dan said:
Not sure what "live teas ties" is. As you said, Brewer's yeast sold in healtfood stores is dead yeast. You can't use it as your active yeast. I have read that if used in homebrew it provides nutrients to our little alcohol/CO2 making yeast cannibals.

That's what I mean. I misspelled yeasties as I'm doing this from my phone and it auto corrected me.

As for yeast nutrients, that's what I was referring to. It looked like it would be a good source of nutrients for the live yeast that we use in our beer.

What exactly is yeast nutrient comprised of from home brew stores?

Quick question.... I use a lot of brewers yeast from the health food store for one if my other hobbies so I usually have quite a bit of it laying around at any one time.

My question is would brewers yeast be a decent enough yeast nutrient in a pinch? From my understanding, it is dead dried yeast and has a ton of nutritional value for humans. Is there any reason why it would be bad for the live teas ties we use in our beer?

Yeah, it'll make a decent nutrient. You probably know, but yeast are cannibals and will consume the dead cells. Just add the brewers yeast in the last 10 or so of the boil, like you would nutrient. FWIW, I've used expired dry yeast like this too and it seems to work just fine, no difference from batches that I use nutrient in.

Back