Brewers in Cheyenne, WY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsnadon

Reaction score
Just curious.... any brewers here from or very near to Cheyenne WY? If so, where do you get your supplies?

I've been a brewer for years and years (and years and years - I'd say close to 30 years in the hobby, off an on [lately, ON]). I'd love to patronise the LBHS in Cheyenne, but the hours are so irregular that I find it almost impossible. The ingredients available have been okay (L. D. Carlson, I think) but I'm an all-grain brewer with a leaning towards the Belgians (when I'm not brewing my favourite - English Ales) and the selection has been slightly limited in the past. About the only times I've been in there lately (last year or three), it has only been for some light dry for a starter or this do-dad or whatnot, etc -- a last minute need, so to speak...

I've travelled to Ft Collins and purchased many times, but that is a long drive on some days.... .... ....

For the 15 plus years I've lived in Cheyenne, I've been an internet customer. As of late, that has been www.brewmasterswarehouse.com, but I've used www.morebeer.com many, many times. Being an internet only customer sure makes you plan real good, that much I'll say.

Just curious what my neighbors might be doing, that's all.

I'm a little north of you in Casper. We have a LHBS up here that's pretty solid. He's open 5 days a week and has almost anything I need ingredient-wise, and will order anything else. I still shop online a lot though. Anytime I need equipment I order online and usually throw in bulk ingredients, so I don't patronize the local guy as much as I would like to. Not too great for advice, though. He only brews extract even though he carries everfything for all grain.

That shop in Ft Collins is great, and from Cheyenne not too bad of a drive. I have to go to Cheyenne on business sometimes, and will often hop down there if I have a chance.

Generally, I keep a bunch of "standard" ingredients around so that I can impulse brew if I want too, but I have to plan ahead for anything new or specific.

If your planning a trip to depot merchants home brew shop on a week day the owner opens after 4 pm because he works another job. weekend hours are also abbreviated. best to call and leave a message so you can confirm hours.

Do any of you think that another LHBS would be worth opening? The reason I ask is that I was considering opening one once I return to Cheyenne in July. My retirement from the Army has left me with a lot of time on my hands. It would be a full service shop with normal opening hours. Even considering doing a BOP type deal, depending on regs. Please let me know. I will even cater to the local Brew Clubs.

Right now I live in laramie and I go to fort collins they have two good lhbs there. I would go to cheyene though it is closer the depot street shop has never worked for me even when I set up a time in advance the store was closed a 60 mile drive for nothing:mad:

If I understand it correctly, the Depot Street Shop is more of a convenient store front for the Brew Pub. So there is basically no dedicated LHBS in Cheyenne. I am willing to open one and with my contacts over here in Germany, I can get some malt straight from the source. My only concern is if the investment will at least break even. I need to find out what the supply and demand is in the Cheyenne area. Basically only two towns are going to shop here, Laramie and Cheyenne, as far as I can see it. Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Laramie has one, sort of... In one of the flea markets over there, is
an almost complete setup, just no real person to talk with. But the
supplies are there when needed.

Depot Street has nothing to do with any brew pub in town, to my
knowledge. It is run by a guy who is also part of the local club --
it's almost like a local club store. They have most everything as well
(but not as much as the flea market in Laramie), just very erratic
hours. Oh, the hours are posted, just not adhered to, which is quite
frustrating. If Depot Street would put in a light or two, be open when
he says he is, it's a great store! Great atmosphere in there.

A real shop here in town -- I'd be a customer. Wyeast, whole hops
(and fresh) -- Kent, Fuggles, Saaz. A good and wide selection of
grain... leaning on the British side of things. Just know, you're
competing with the entire internet -- Midwest Supplies, Northern
Brewer, More Beer -- they are all tax free, so the shipping is a wash.

So I can get hops and grain in Laramie? I found some sparse information about Dr CS Home Brew Shop, 725 Skyline Rd. When I tried to find it there was no such address. So the place is real? where is it? Thanks!:mug:

I am a newbie brewer in Cheyenne. What is LHBS? I found the Depot shop last weekend and hopefully I will be able to get there sometimes when he is open. I just got a deluxe kit (glass) from Northern Brewers, and am setting up a fermentation cabinet using an old air conditioner, cheap rolling walmart pantry, and a thermowell and controller. I haven't brewed my first batch yet (Caribou Slobber Kit), but as a chemical engineer and chemist I am driven to make sure all aspects of this process and experiment are as ideal as I can get within budget.

I have nothing to add, I am new to Cheyenne (3 weeks) and just got the Midwest Brewers groupon as a birthday present. Maybe we can stumble through this together lammgrel. I'm just planning on fermenting in the basement though - nothing quite as fancy as you.

I'm in Laramie. What is the place in Cheyenne like? I'm confused as to where they even are....I seem to be having trouble finding much about them online.

I am a 6mo brewer... Found the info on caspers lhbs to be spot on if slightly generous... I have fallen in love with pour brothers brewing in gillette... Both brothers have been nice & helpful... They are also wholesaling through midwest so you can get their kits on the shelf for about what they are shipped from midwest... Hopefully i will be having more business in the greeley area, when i make those trips or others i typically have time to stop at one place for some shopping...

If there were a decent lhbs in cheyenne that made it worth my while to swing in i would...

I live in Cheyenne and a few months back my neighbor in the service handed me the coldest and tastiest IPA I'd ever had. To my surprise, it was a homebrew! I had no that you could make your own beer. Needless to say, I'm very new to the hobby.

My problem is that I have yet to find a community/store here in Cheyenne to help me in my skill progression. My neighbor is deployed often, and even when he's in town it's hard to sync up because we both have busy families.

Question: Does anyone know of a club here? I'll have to check out that place on 15th street...

If anyone of you Cheyenne folk would like to discuss recipes, taste each others brew, and provide feedback, I'd be grateful. Mostly I find myself lacking 2nd+ opinions. I haven't yet brewed a batch that I didn't have questions about...

Long, long time ago, I went to a couple of their meetings. They used to meet at Uncle Charlies on the 1st Wednesday. Not saying they are good or bad, just didn't float my boat. I think the club members are the reason the store is there on Depot street (I think the guy that runs the Depot street store started the club).

Learning to brew -- buy some commercial examples and compare. Read anything that Charlie Papazian writes. Swear by and hang on every word that Michael Jackson wrote -- that man is a true Malt God, may he rest in peace.

I bought my immersion cooler & stockpot from a guy that does a lot with the brewing club - nice guy, but I haven't been to one of the meetings yet.

My Irish Red turned out AWESOME though, and I'm about to put in an order to midwest for my next. Still at the kit stage, but enjoying it. Hoping to do a higher gravity winter warmer for my first winter in Cheyenne.

Also, a lady has been supplying me with bottles - I am full up, but if anyone needs some I could pass them on. They aren't cleaned/delabeled, but they are free and she goes through a lot of Beck's.

Getting ready to brew my 2nd all grain, 1st recipe I wrote myself, a Dopple Schwartzbock. I ordered the grains and yeast from Midwest, and they just got here yesterday, unfortunately too late to get a yeast starter going to be able to brew this weekend. I think it is worth goint to Hops and Berries to get grains and yeast from now on, and I just learned of a homebrew supply and fresh hops supply in Windsor.

http://www.highhops.net/
http://www.hopsandberries.com/

High hops is a nice little store and the best part is if swmbo isnt into looking at the brewing stuff she can go check out the flowers etc...

I have lived in Cheyenne for over 10 years. I didn't know there was a home brew shop here until after I bought most of my brewing stuff. (bought alot over the internet, some from a shop in Ft. Collins). The LHBS is usually open from 4-530 in the afternoon weekdays and 8-? on saturday. The owner works for the railroad so sometimes that keeps him away during those times. I shop there when I can. Would be nice to have a better selection on some items(its a pain to go to Ft Collins or order for something that only cost a buck or three). So far, most the beers I've brewed have been kits, but I did buy grains, malt extract, etc from the LHBS to brew recipes I found online.

The club has around 20 members I think. Only been to a few meetings. People usually bring samples of there HB. And will try yours and provide feedback/suggestions (some is occasionlly helpful :D ). They do a homebrew competition everyyear (something like 18 years now?) had over 400 entries this year. They do the occasional brew day get together(good way to see how other people brew).

drtrkrcr123 said:
So does anyone know exactly where the store is located I am new to the area and to the hobby.

From the depot, head down past the Albany and the shop is a couple blocks down on the right. Poor signage and hard to find. Took me three tries before I made it there when he was open, but I was able to get a flask for my starter. I kinda wonder how fresh the ingredients are - doesn't seem like a high turnover place but I might be wrong.

MR_OR. do you still have those bottles? If so I could take some off your hands. Also I found the LHBS and even managed to catch him open. Seemed like a nice place and he was helpful. I will head back for sure.

I do - I know I probably have 48 or so sitting on my back patio. Labels yet to be removed and dirty, but they are up for grabs if you are interested.

You should hit one of the meetings. This wed. 7pm uncle charlies upstairs. Lots of samples getting passed around. Bring some of yours if you got some. I don't make all the meetings. But usually a good time. Pretty laid back group.

Do any of you think that another LHBS would be worth opening? The reason I ask is that I was considering opening one once I return to Cheyenne in July. My retirement from the Army has left me with a lot of time on my hands. It would be a full service shop with normal opening hours. Even considering doing a BOP type deal, depending on regs. Please let me know. I will even cater to the local Brew Clubs.

I know that you have 5 customers who would become regulars including myself. Hope you decide to open.

Not through Cheyenne as much any more but if you open a shop with normal hours I'd stop on the way through...

Hey folks, Im way up in Worland but if you ever get through here stop in at my shop, Big Horn Basin Brew Supply at 728 Big Horn Ave. Right in downtown. We are open 10 AM to 6:30 PM M-F and 10-5 on Saturdays. We do close for short periods during the day for lunch and picking up kids but rarely gone more than 30 minutes at a time. Also, we started a club up here. If you are around on the second Tuesday of each month we meet at Rumors Sports Bar and Grill @ 6:30 pm till we wander out. Sorry for the shameless self promo. We do have a decent selection of grains and Im willing to ship to you if you pay the shipping fees. We dont have an online store yet though. Look us up on Facebook and like our page to keep up with us. Thanks.

Been meaning to try and stop by... Work has taken me up there twice since your post, but I've had the gooseneck on so wasn't sure how it would be for parking... But still planning on making it up there at some point...

Plenty of parking off the main road and in the back. In front it gets busy but if there is room for the trailer its open game being parallel parking. Feel free to pull in, look forward to meeting folks and serving your brewing, wine making and cheese making needs. Cheese is our newest thing, surprisingly popular as well.

I might be 4 years too late but I found one supplier here in Cheyenne, Depot Street Merchants. I don't know how long they have been here but I see that they are up and running. I am the same way about traveling to Fort Collins and wanted something close. Hope this helps!

I'm a Cheyenne brewer and have only been to Depot Street Merchants a handful of times since I started brewing (only small things). They are just never open when I need them to be. I mainly use Hops and Berries and the internet. I'm typically in Ft Collins every couple weekends anyway, so it is pretty easy to just slide in to Hops and Berries (especially now with their 2 locations) and pick up what I need. They always seem to have everything I need. If another store opened with regular hours, I would be a very regular patron (I'm pretty addicted to this hobby and brew a lot). Hell, I have thought about opening one up myself.

Odd coincidence my dad works/ed with the owner of Depot Street on the railroad and got my dad into homebrewing in the late 90s. I remember going into the store many times as a kid.

I'm not a High Plains Drafters member nor have I ever been to a meeting. I have heard some mixed things about it.

There is a new home brew store downtown. It is called That Homebrew Store. It is a really great store and they also refill co2 tanks.

Latest posts

Back