Brewer's Hardware trub filter, any users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering using this as a pre-filter for my plate chiller, anybody out there using this? The tests on the website look pretty good so I thought I would check with actual users...thanks!!

I've got one, and it worked great when using pellet hops, and giving the boil a good long whirlpool. I did manage to stop it up with pellets during an IPA with a LOT of hops, and didn't whirlpool it. My bad.

If you're ever going to use whole hops, I think you'll need another layer of protection to keep from stopping up that filter (and pumps if you use them.)

I copied a pic from someone's setup who has both the MLT and the BK draining through that filter. That seems like the ultimate way to keep as much solids out of your fermenter as possible, as long as you don't plug it during vorlauf.

Good luck, it's a beautifully made piece!

Here are some photo's of the trub filter. One photo shows it hooked up to my 20g Blichmann boilermaker. The other photo shows the size of the trub filter.

IMG_0171b.jpg

SSfilter_c.jpg

I have one, but can't get it to work without using a pump. Word of caution: This sucker is heavy. It tipped over one of my smaller kettles one session when I took my eyes off of it. Messy floor.

I used this over the weekend for an 11 gallon batch of a IIPA that used 20.5 oz of pellet hops. I whirlpooled for 30 minutes and let it settle for 5 minutes and proceeded to pump. This filter is designed to be post pump so that's what I did. I can't say enough how happy I am with this purchase. Even with the whirlpool, the filter was about 30% full of hop mess. I had no problems transferring into my Sanke for fermentation.

This thing is highly recommended by me so far!

Back