Brewer's Hardware Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpweeks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the kettles on the brewers hardware site? Im in the plannign stages of a new brewery and have been looking at the stout tanks, but came across these.....looks like they may be quite comparable.

I ordered one a couple if weeks ago. I'll be happy to post pics or thoughts when it arrives. I'm pretty stoked; this will replace the world's junkiest 7 gallon kettle.

I think mine is taking a bit longer than usual because I ordered an extra ferrule for a thermowell.

Pictures would be awesome. Did you get the Mash Tun with False Bottom? If so pictures of that would be welcome too. I'm either going to buy these or boilermakers. I would not mined save money.

im thinking about these or the Stout tanks.....

emailed the website about making some custom mods.....no answer in at least a week. Stout responese to emails are terrible, id hoped a quick response from here would make up my mind......

I have the 15 gal brew kettle with the tangental inlet.
Pictures on the brewers hardware web site exactly match what mine looks like.
I got the pick up tube with it. Works great.
I want to get the mash tun next to replace my cooler.

I looked at stout tanks.
And had similar email response issues.
Mostly I did not like the long wait.

Derrin at brewers hardware has been very responsive to my questions.
But I think it is a mistake to eliminate any of the smaller vendors
based on email response. They all have "customer service" issues, even the ones that think they don't.

The boilermakers seem like great kettles.
But if you want to go tri-clamp, stout or brewers hardware seem like better options.

I ordered the HLT with an extra ferrule added. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, which will be roughly 3 weeks from the time I ordered it. I will take some pictures in the next couple of days; I'll be quite pleased if it matches the official pictures.

I'm looking to see if I can get added ferrules to the hlt to match up to the stout hlt. So need ferrules for herms, sight glass, etc. plus I want to go electric so I need an element ferrule and a recirc ferrule

Here are a few pictures of the newly arrived kettle. My first impression: wow, is this thing heavy! Very solid feeling.

The custom weld done by Brewer's Hardware appears nearly identical to the one done at the factory, and both seem quite nice.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

I'd love to see a picture of their false bottom and pickup tube. I'm looking to build a new system soon and trying to decide on kettles (and herms vs direct fired mash).

I got to use the new kettle today and a couple of things became clear.

1. I need a sturdier/larger burner. The kettle overhung my el cheapo turkey burner by 2-3" on all sides, and the whole assembly sagged and wobbled in a disconcerting manner. Happily, SWMBO saw the wobble and immediately authorized yet another purchase.

2. Not worrying about boil-overs (5 gallon batch in 15 gallon kettle) is a wonderful thing.

3. Tri clamps are really easy to remove. Clean up was a super breeze. Not that it was that hard on the old kettle with the non-conveniently-removable valve, but a minor upgrade nonetheless.

4. Draining out of the 1" valve was incredibly fast. Probably only saved a minute or two over my old 1/2" valve, but it was very cool to see the kettle drain almost instantly. Made me smile.

5. I really liked having the thermometer mounted on the kettle as opposed to the clip-on thermometer I had been using with the old kettle. Double checked it several times against my thermapen and it read accurately. Another small detail that made me happy.

6. The lid-hanger device worked fine and was yet another minor convenience.

7. In the end, the kettle really has nothing I needed other than sheer size, but it has lots of little niceties. The tri clamps and larger ferrules are (to me anyway) totally unnecessary but super cool and I'm glad I have them.

what was the shipping like? I was looking at them and the homebrew kettles that Glacier offers. Both look like great kettles. However the shipping on Glaciers website is close to 400 bucks for two 25 gallon kettles.

Shipping was $19.95 to Nebraska for my kettle and accessories. After three brews on it, I still like it.

Great placed an order for a 30g MLT and 30g HLT. Can't wait to get them. Working with Derrin to add some extra ferrules.

Congrats! I expect you will like them. Since you mentioned adding ferules, I just remembered the one thing I would change about my kettle. I had the custom ferule placed above the ball valve. I just had Brewer's Hardware put it where they thought it should be. I gave them no particular information, so I'm not blaming anyone (and the custom weld is very nice) As it turns out, if I'm doing a five-gallon batch the water (6-6.5 gallons at the start of the boil) just barely covers the ferule.

So if I was to do it again, I think I would have made it clear to BH that sometimes I wanted to do 5 gallon batches and asked that the ferule be placed a little lower.

With your larger kettles I'm guessing you aren't planning on doing five-gallon batches. That said, if you are planning on doing anything less than full capacity and want your thermometer readily submerged I would let them know just in case.

Batch number four (and if I'm ambitious number five) going into the kettle this weekend; can't wait!

Does anyone have a mashtun kettle from Brewer's Hardware? How does he handle the dip tube with the false bottom?

I'm a bit confused how the dip tube works in this thing? It looks like the false bottom has a handle and the outlet hole is above the false bottom and does not have any way to attach a dip tube?

The dip tube gets inserted from the front and then clamps onto the kettle. Then, the valve will clamp to the dip tube.

Is there a hole in the false bottom for the dip tube to fit through? It looks like there is, but hard to tell because of all the shiny!

Gotcha, I wasn't sure if the dip tube would have enough play to fit through a false bottom, but I guess the 1 inch tube through the 1.5" ferrule is enough space to wiggle it in there before clamping.

I will be looking for kettles to build my electric brewery this summer. I'm keeping this thread bookmarked.

Has anyone gotten a quote or otherwise priced a bk and mt configured for eherms? Stout is local to me, so I can avoid shipping charges, but the price once you add all those inlets and outlets really stacks up, just curious how BH might compare.

Man when I built my setup it was blichmann or polarware, I would love a stout or brewers hardware but they need a liquid level like blichmann's. I have punched holes in my blichmann for a herms setup and used cam locks. I can pretty much pump wide open since the cam locks are so restrictive. I have seen (compaired to my cam locks) massive flow rates with a march pump and triclover fitting using the same 1/2 inch plumbing. Now brewers hardware just need a good liquid level, even it it was just scribed in on the inside of the kettle, and a chugger pump with triclover fitting already on it.

I know this is an old thread but has anyone purchased a Brewers Hardware kettle recently? I wish they would put the dip tube in the middle of the mashtun and maybe they have I plan on ordering from them soon.. hlt, mlt, and bk...

I just received a 20 gallon brewers hardware kettle Tuesday. I will be using it as my boil kettle. I'm glad the dip tube isn't in the middle. Makes it a little better when whirlpooling. I have not brewed with it yet, but the quality is excellent. I also love the fact that they will weld what ever you need, where ever you need it. One stop shopping.

I have been using a brewers hardware kettle with the dip tube on the side.
It works well as my bk.

Can any of you folks with the 20 gallon kettle speak to how easy/difficult it is to scrub the bottom to clean it? At 25.25" even with long arms it seems like it might be tough to scrub.
Also, how is the thermometer height for 5 gallon batches?

I've been shopping for a new brew kettle to upgrade/go electric, and after much back and forth I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 20 gallon kettle. I a big fan of the narrow diameter and tall height for doing a mix of 5 and 10/15 gallon batches. But I'm a little worried its so tall that it may be hard to reach in and scrub the bottom. When I stuck the measuring tape on my current keggle I was surprised to see the brewer's hardware kettle is 2" taller. I find it a huge pain scrub the bottom of the keggle when it needs it, but maybe the additional height is more than offset by not having the cut-off lip to contend with.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but as best I could tell this is the only brewer's hardware kettle thread. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

No issues reaching the bottom of mine I don't have long arms either. After soaking in pbw have never had to scrub to hard. When I ordered mine I picked the height for the thermometer so it can be wherever you want. 20 gallon is definitely worth it and I agree brewers hardware has the best geometry of any kettle I have seen.

I just received my 20 gallons...and I am tall guy with long arms and I can just barely reach the bottom of the kettle. This could be the table height I have, but my armpit is more or less on the top if I drop a tri clamp gasket in the kettle.

How are you folks with these kettles handling knowing how many gallons are in a pot? He mentioned having rulers made in the first quarter but I don't want to wait for that?

I thought of marking a dowel with a sharpie but wondered how the ink holds up with all the liquids it is going to come into contact with?

Finally got around to doing my first brew using these new kettles. I have a Kals electric system so all the associated ports and pumps. I had bad luck with the supplied mash tun false bottom. I run an 805 wide open to recirc the mash and have done so on my 10 gallon kettles before with a jay bird false bottom. I had so much trash get by the supplied one I had to slow the pumps and wait almost the entire 90 minutes for the recirc to clear. I had temp issues (no fault of the kettle) I was trying to use a rtd in a female npt-1pm.5" tri clover connector and it would not read the mash temp well...was reading 20 below what a thermopen was reading.

Long story short, trying to get the thermopen down into the mash stirred it up again and I had to circulate for another 20 minutes to calm it down.

The false bottom is just a perforated plate with solid rod legs so there are no sides like on a NorCal fb. The diameter is about .125 shy of the diameter of the kettle.

I reached out to Curtis to see what he believes may be wrong, and ordered new t's for my temp readings.

Back