Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act of 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't find the other thread where we talked about this (and I did use the search!). Sorry ;)

I got a reply from my Congressman. Apparently, he is a co-sponsor.

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 836, the Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act of 2009.

H.R. 836 was introduced on February 3, 2009 by Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D-ND) and was referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means. I am proud to be a cosponsor of this important legislation.

If enacted. H.R. 836 would reduce by 50% the per-barrel tax on beer from $18 to $9. The bill also allows for further tax reductions for a breweries that produce fewer than 2 million barrels per year.

This bill is an important step to providing tax relief to countless small businesses in New York and around the country. Many small breweries employ fewer than a dozen employees and often operate at very thin profit margins. This legislation will help these businesses to keep employees by removing unnecessary tax burdens.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please feel free to get in touch with my office in the future if I can be of any assistance to you on this or any other matter of concern. I hope you will find my website - www.mcmahon.house.gov - a useful resource for keeping up with events in Washington and the 13th District of New York.

Sincerely,

Michael E. McMahon
Member of Congress

Couldn't find the other thread where we talked about this (and I did use the search!). Sorry ;)

I got a reply from my Congressman. Apparently, he is a co-sponsor.

Great job! I didn't even know that this was a law that was considered in the House. I will now be sure to write my Congressman to let him know my thoughts on this issue.

And up here in Beervana, they tried to boost the tax 1900% last year! The excuse was it had been a long time since there had been an increase. The adjustment for inflation would have been 250%. Got shot down.

No increase proposed for the Winos though.

Latest posts

Back