Brewers Best Starter Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingredient kits or equipment? I started off with both and had absolutely no problem. My first and second beers where their Irish Red and English Pale Ale. They were the beers that sealed the deal on my brewing hobby. I loved them. I still have some of the original parts from my equipment kit (bottle capper, bottling wand, hydrometer...)

The brewer's best kits make a pretty decent beer. Much better than the 'can and a kilo' beginner brew kits, or setups like Mr. Beer...although these are useful for getting people interested in the hobby.

I like them because you get introduced to hop pellets and steeping grains right out the gate, and these help add the flavor complexities that IMO make better beer.

I started with both the equipment and a kit (IPA) and have been really pleased with it. I would second Malkore's comments about giving you steeping grains that aren't difficult but give you more control and a sense of what you're making.

I've also had a good experience with BB kits. From what I've heard in similar topics on here, any problems with them can be traced back to them being on the shelf too long. So make sure they're fresh and it should be great.

My first beer was their Belgian Trippel. It's currently carbing in bottles, but I'll tell ya that the samples I drank were far better than I ever imagined. BB makes good kits based on that singular experience IMO.

My only complaint is that their suggestion to put the beer in a secondary before it's done fermenting doesn't seem to jive with everything else I've read. It appears to have turned out but if/when I do it again I would probably avoid following their fermenting instructions.

I have a Brewers Best Weizenbier in the bottle for two weeks, and I am going to bottle one their American Cream Ales tomorrow. I plan to purchase two more of their kits tomorrow, after that I am going to venture into the world of all grain brewing. Overall I have been real happy with the kits so far. But I have to echo the comment about their recommendation to use a secondary for all their beers. It just doesn't make much sense. Especially for new brewers, racking to a secondary increases the chance of infection and the extra expense of the additional equipment may be more than many newbies can afford.

Drinking a brewers best american pale ale right now - I agree they seem to be good quality kits. I made a couple of mistakes but the batch turned out great regardless. I'm going to try northern brewer next, but BB has been a great introduction.

I have BB brewing equipment, and I only brewed my second batch last weekend but so far I have had absolutely no problems with any of it.

My first ingredient kit was also a BB Amber Ale. It is in its 2nd week of bottle conditioning now. I did taste one after week 1 just for reference and it was actually VERY good. My yeast did stall during fermentation but I pitched another packet and off it went, finished up no problem.

Just tapped my first BB kit tonight, English Pale Ale. After 4 weeks in the primary and 1 week in the keg conditioning I have enjoyed the first 3 pints! I did screw up the recipe in that I wasn't able to add enough water to get to 5 gallons, only 4.5 (long, long worthless story) so the flavor and ABV changed, but it turned out better than expected.

I have an American Lager kit in my closet I haven't brewed yet due to the fact I was ignorant in the difference between lager and ale upon buying my first kit. Probably need to get that going soon.

Just tapped my first BB kit tonight, English Pale Ale. After 4 weeks in the primary and 1 week in the keg conditioning I have enjoyed the first 3 pints! I did screw up the recipe in that I wasn't able to add enough water to get to 5 gallons, only 4.5 (long, long worthless story) so the flavor and ABV changed, but it turned out better than expected.

I have an American Lager kit in my closet I haven't brewed yet due to the fact I was ignorant in the difference between lager and ale upon buying my first kit. Probably need to get that going soon.

Haha! We're in the same boat then. The kit SWMBO purchased with the starter kit was a black lager (Kostritzer is one of my favorite beers) and after reading the directions I said to myself "I don't have ready acccess to a cave in the Alps or a temperature controlled refrigerator!" So I'm saving that one for when I do.

Then I picked up the Tripple kit and so far it appears to be very promising for a first homebrew.

Haha! We're in the same boat then. The kit SWMBO purchased with the starter kit was a black lager (Kostritzer is one of my favorite beers) and after reading the directions I said to myself "I don't have ready acccess to a cave in the Alps or a temperature controlled refrigerator!" So I'm saving that one for when I do.

Then I picked up the Tripple kit and so far it appears to be very promising for a first homebrew.

Yeah the dude at my LHBS said it tasted like 1554 so I said sold!

Got home and read the directions and the only problem is lagering, wish he would have told me. Oh well, I specifically asked about the ease of brewing and the recipe is easy...I hope to brew it soon before it sits on my shelf for months.

bought their equipment kit and their american amber kit. ill be bottling next week. everything seems great so far. :D can wait to open my first hb

My first beer was their Belgian Trippel. It's currently carbing in bottles, but I'll tell ya that the samples I drank were far better than I ever imagined. BB makes good kits based on that singular experience IMO.

My only complaint is that their suggestion to put the beer in a secondary before it's done fermenting doesn't seem to jive with everything else I've read. It appears to have turned out but if/when I do it again I would probably avoid following their fermenting instructions.

I have a Brewers Best Weizenbier in the bottle for two weeks, and I am going to bottle one their American Cream Ales tomorrow. I plan to purchase two more of their kits tomorrow, after that I am going to venture into the world of all grain brewing. Overall I have been real happy with the kits so far. But I have to echo the comment about their recommendation to use a secondary for all their beers. It just doesn't make much sense. Especially for new brewers, racking to a secondary increases the chance of infection and the extra expense of the additional equipment may be more than many newbies can afford.

While I agree that secondary fermentation isn't needed with most beers, I agree with BB's instructions of racking prior to fermentation being complete.

If you're using secondary fermentation, you SHOULD be racking when the beer is 4-5 gravity points away from being done. If you don't, you're basically adding beer to a carboy that has oxygen in the headspace instead of the gases produced by fermentation. This will end up ruining your beer if you plan to secondary it for an extended period of time.

Back