Brewers best kit " American amber " anybody tried it ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiochris

Reaction score
Mine turned out extremely bitter. I just transfered it to another container for secondary , but its really dark and super bitter. Just wondering if I may have done something wrong.

I made the Brewers Best American Light... Mine turned out pretty good. Can we get more info? How long in the primary and how long bottled?

I did the red ale and it turned out great. can you give any more info on how the brew day went, any issues, like burnt extract.

Brew day went smoothly 6 days ago , active bubbling started in about six hours later and lasted for near two days , everything has stopped now and I transfered it into a different bucket for secondary. I dont think I burnt or overdid anything but this being my first beer batch I dont have much to compare it to.

That was my first brew. It turned out pretty sour and yeasty though. 1st of all, it was an old kit... not my fault it was a gift and I didn't know any better. 2nd, I fermented this at 72 degrees ambient, my bad. The beer was drinkable, but it wasn't really what I'd call good. I'm sure it's a good kit when fresh and not fermented hot though.

In your case, it may just be young and conditioning will finish it.

Assuming you checked your gravity readings (OG / FG), fermentation was finished, and then transferred, give it some time to condition and you'll find you've made yourself a really good beer. Trust me. I'm not a Master Brewer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

What you did wrong is taste a beer that is only 6 days old and started the avalanche of new brewer self doubt. You can't judge the beer until it is a minimum of 5 week since you pitched the yeast. 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, 3 weeks in the bottles.

Forrest

P.S. Its dark because it is cloudy and in bulk. Wait until it is in your glass a month from now.

I tried my red ale after two weeks in primary and 2 weeks bottled, it was fairly good after the 2 weeks bottled, but much better 4-5 weeks bottled. Dont drink them all up early no matter how good you think they are.

I figured out what I did. I burnt the malt syrup that stuck to the bottom. Lesson well learned. I didnt think anything of the black flakes that floated up off the bottom until I read its a common newbie mistake to burn it , and then I put the pieces together. Surprisingly , even though it dont taste that good , its atleast drinkable and has a good aroma and carbonation. Once getting past the burnt flavor I can taste probably close to what its supposed to taste like normally and its good enough to give it another try.

Back