Brewed my first ever beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lc61ff

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to home brewing. After a while of looking up videos and browsing home brewing sites I couldn't take it any longer and went to Keystone home brew supply in PA. I picked up a equipment starter kit, kegging kit and a White House honey porter extract kit. Being as impatient as I am I decided to brew my beer tonight and in the process took some photos. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395639145.332665.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395639176.474033.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395639201.873158.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395639285.116865.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395639328.737444.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395639339.171585.jpg

Thanks! Now I just sit, wait and hope I did everything correctly. The only issue i had was it took forever to get my wort to boil on my stove.

Ya, I have that same problem. I'd rather not add water after the boil so I stick with 1-3 gallon batches. Do you have multiple kegs and buckets? Start planning what to brew next! I have a seperate calendar so I can remember when I need to bottle/dryhop/cold crash/etc. whichever batches I have. Get the pipeline going!

looks good. You should introduce yourself to a blow-off tube sooner rather than later though. Welcome to the hobby.

hope it turns out well, It is a week after my first brew day and I am as impatient as you to get onto the next one. Let me know how it turns out... the waiting is killing me

Thanks guys! I just took a look at my fermenter and slowly it is bubbling. I'm so excited I sat there and watched it bubble for 10 mins lol. I'm actually considering getting another bucket and keg....I can't wait till this batch is done to start another batch lol. That is the one thing I forgot to get was blow off tubing and I don't have time till probably Friday to get some. I'm hoping the 1.5 gallon space is enough room for now.

Welcome to the hobby Keystone Homebrew Supply is a great shop and resource. You should also come out to the shop on the third Thursday of each month to the Keystone Hops Homebrew club meeting, very fun time and offers great advice on the hobby. Let me know how the White House honey porter is that is a kit I have been wanting to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Welcome to the wonderful world of home brewing! We're glad to have you. Looks like you had a great brew day. Congrats and let us know how it turns out.

Outlander

Sent from my Z796C using Home Brew mobile app

Congrats! For a bucket I use the regular bung and then the air lock without the inside and lid. I use tubing from that. Your LHBS will supply you with the right size tubing, I cannot recall what size I have.

1.5 gallons headspace may be okay. I did a honey porter one gallon and had no headspace so it popped out the bung. Also, due to my own error, it was at least 8% ABV and should not have been. :)

My stove showed me right quick that it would never let me brew beer. I quickly bought a turkey fryer burner and went outside. From there, that was the gateway and my entry into brewing and attempt to work on a budget was shot.

Thanks all! I can't wait to see how it turns out, I took a sample of the wort and it tasted amazing. Im just praying my fermenter can contain it till I can get tubing.

Welcome to the hobby Keystone Homebrew Supply is a great shop and resource. You should also come out to the shop on the third Thursday of each month to the Keystone Hops Homebrew club meeting, very fun time and offers great advice on the hobby. Let me know how the White House honey porter is that is a kit I have been wanting to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I will def have to try and stop in one day! I was able to sample the honey porter at keystone and that's what sold me on getting that kit.

Tubing is cheap enough and useful for many different things. I keep 5ft of each size on hand at all times.

I am going to have to go pick up some tubing when I can. L]uckily I shined a light into the bucket and could see the krausen is no where near the top. And the fermentation is really active now, the airlock is non stop bubbling.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395726570.553690.jpg

Now go get a dog to play with for the next two weeks. Or start a new batch every weekend:mug:

I've put together everything I have on a budget. A turkey frier was one of my best investments. It's not terribly pretty (aluminum kettle) but it allowed me to do full boils of 5 gallon batches. I bought it at Menards for like $60 (kettle and burner). Congrats on picking up the addiction!

Lol the camera lighting makes your hand in one picture look black and in the other white as snow..... Amazing!!!

Thanks! Now I just sit, wait and hope I did everything correctly. The only issue i had was it took forever to get my wort to boil on my stove.

Yeah, after my first batch I bought a propane burner. No more waiting 1.5 hours for the wort to boil!

I just bottled my first ever batch today. (German Octoberfest) I was the same way, the first week after I brewed it I couldn't wait. I had to be doing something with beer!! Sooooo I went and got a oatmeal stout w/chocolate. Can't wait to taste as well!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396400975.427833.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396400991.557371.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396401004.258732.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396401019.874137.jpg

Is it that obvious?

Thanks guys!!! So I took a gravity reading yesterday and got a reading of 1.014 down from 1.069 which was spot on with what the instructions said the FG would be. I drank the sample and it was excellent.

Even though most people say secondary is not needed, I decided to try it out this time. So I racked it into my secondary and put a co2 blanket over it. I'm going to leave it in the secondary for two weeks then rack to the keg. I'm really excited to start enjoying my first homebrew

Yeah, after my first batch I bought a propane burner. No more waiting 1.5 hours for the wort to boil!

I'm definitely going to look into getting a burner but first I'm going to need to make some space in my garage cause it's a mess right now haha

Latest posts

Back