Brewday gone bad - Burned wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upstream

Reaction score
Oh, man what a brewday I had to day!
What was supposed to be a longish 5 hour brewday with a rather long mash schedule (BIAB) has turned out to be 9 hours and will end up in around 10 hours total!

During the start of my boil, my electric heating elements gave out so I had to boil the 6 gallon batch on the stove in pots of various sizes. I am finally finishing all of this but now I am concerned that the wort may have been burned at some stage (probably before my elements gave out).
Below is a picture of the wort as I moved it to the ferementer. I am cooling it down in the tub filled with cold water.
attachment.php

So what to you guys think? Does the wort look like it was burned during the boil? This is the recipe I used. Not sure about the type of Crystal malt I used so the SRM is probably off but is was entered into the recipe as 20 SRM. :
Code:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25,00 L      
Boil Size: 31,02 L
Estimated OG: 1,055 SG
Estimated Color: 4,9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11,8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
4,25 kg       Wheat Malt, Ger (2,0 SRM)                 Grain        72,65 %       
1,25 kg       Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1,0 SRM)              Grain        21,37 %       
0,35 kg       Caramel/Crystal Malt                         Grain        5,98 %        
7,00 gm       Pearle [7,50 %]  (60 min) (First Wort Hop)Hops         5,5 IBU       
30,00 gm      Hallertauer [2,20 %]  (60 min)            Hops         6,3 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Brewferm Blanche (Brewferm)               Yeast-Ale

2012-12-22 23.38.12 - Copy.jpg

There is no telling from the pictures. That looks normal to me even with the ingredients listed. If it was burnt you should have some evidence like residue in the pots etc. You should know much more than we can see in the pictures.

Looks fine from what I can tell. I burned my wort on my second ever batch, turned the whole thing into carmel. Yours doesn't look too viscous so you might be ok. There is no true way to tell until you taste it. Good luck.

Well, I just drank a cup of warm wort! I guess there is a first for everything :)
When I opened the fermenter that is cooling down in the tub, there is a hint of a burning smell of it but I did not detect anything seriously burnt when tasting it.

I will just pitch the yeast as usual and see what happens! Thanks guys!

Back