brewday disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I'm fermenting in a glass carboy and using an aeration wand before pitching. So the carboy is basically full and I place the sanitized wand into the wort. This is only my second use of the wand so I immediately crank it full up. It blows the wand out of the tube and into the carboy. There is no reasonable way to retrieve the wand so I leave it at the bottom of the carboy and oxygenate with the bare tube.
Did oxygenating with the bare tube do any good?
When I retrieve the wand is it ruined? Its definitely going to be resting in the trub for the next week.
Will the wand sitting in the carboy during fermentation cause any off flavors?

Got to admit, I'm a little disappointed. I clicked expecting to read about a brewday disaster and what I found was a brewday imperfection.

I'd say you're 99.9% in the clear on this particular disaster.

I agree. It will be fine and also a brew day disaster should end with 0 fermentable wort and possibly less tools, property, or brewing buddies due to negligence, unforeseen acts of god, fire/arson, or falling asleep.

I agree. It will be fine and also a brew day disaster should end with 0 fermentable wort and possibly less tools, property, or brewing buddies due to negligence, unforeseen acts of god, fire/arson, or falling asleep.

Ok so maybe not a disaster,but I truly thought my aeration wand was done for. The instructions say not to touch the diffusion stone because the oil from fingers will clog it. So sitting in a vat of yeast and hop trub for a week shouldn't have any negative effects?

Latest posts

Back