BrewCipher 7 Up for Download

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
BrewCipher 7 spreadsheet, Late Valentine Edition, is now up for download.

New/Changed in Version 7:

- Styles Updated to BJCP 2021 Guidelines
- Added More Style Specific Suggested Water Profiles
- fixed a display issue for LODO additions on menu tab
- Tweaked/Added some Ingredients

Feature Recap...
- Predicts attenuation based not only on yeast strain, but also on mash conditions and grain bill composition
- Understands that simple sugars are 100% fermentable, and that they are not subject to mash efficiency or yeast strain factors
- Understands that some gravity contributors are not fermentable at all
- Accounts explicitly for wort and water losses, and adjusts total water (and related calculations) accordingly
- Uses a correct Tinseth formula with Avg Boil Gravity in the 'bigness' factor rather than the pre-boil OG (which is both popular and wrong)
- Incorporates optional Modified Tinseth and Rager Formulas…
------ Limits IBUs to 110 (solubility limit)
------ Splices new utilization curve to Tinseth and Rager curves above 65 IBUs, to more closely agree with actual vs theoretical IBUs measured
------ Adds bitterness contributions for post boil hop additions, modeled and extrapolated from the work of Mark G. Malowicki
- Hop Utilization Multiplier parameter to fine tune hop utilization to your system
- First Wort Hopping
- User adjustable Pellet/Leaf/Cryo/CO2 Extract Hop Bonuses/Penalties
- Single infusion batches with single batch sparge, or mashout and lauter, or Brew-In-A-Bag
- Wort Oxygenation Recommendations
- Lagering Days Recommendations
- Highlights any Gravities, ABVs, IBUs, and SRMs that are not within BJCP style guidelines
- Computes Diastatic Power for the Mash, and warns when grist's DP is marginal or poor
- Scales Grain Bill to any desired Original Gravity
- Scales Hop Bills to any desired IBUs
- Calculates Residual Alkalinity and Mash pH and results of acid and Brewing Salt Additions, including Sparge Water acidification
- Recommends Water Profiles by Style and accepts User Water Profiles
- Predicts Mash Efficiency based on known Efficiency and change in grain weight and/or sparge to no-sparge or vice versa
- Displays Implied Brewhouse Efficiency
- Automatically computes Yeast Starter Volumes, including stepped starters. Supports harvested yeast slurries.
- Includes an optional, alternate ABV calculation
- Inputs for Post Boil/Post Fermentation gravity and volume data, to compute actual mash efficiency, attenuation, and ABV
- Converts Refractometer readings Specific Gravity Values
- Choice of U.S. standard measurements or Metric
- Choice of Plato or SG gravity measurements
- SG/Plato Conversion Calculator
- Carbonation Calculations
- Hydrometer Specify Gravity Temperature Correction
- Mash Tun Overload and Required Temperature Exceeding Boiling Warnings
- Kegging Beer Line Length calculations
- CO2 Hop Extract and Cryo Hop Support
- pH Target Picker Tool
- Fruit Additions
- LODO Metabisulfate Additions
- More user selectable Brewhouse Parameters than you can shake a stick at (but the defaults will work pretty well for most people too)

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

Can I suggest / request a couple of things:

In the UserH20 tab can you unprotect the column of cells to the right for a users water description.
I use Libre Office and the brewdday sheet shows kg as #.###### can you round it down to 3 decimal points

Dont know if this is possible but thank you so much for the sheet Vikeman
All the best

Can I suggest / request a couple of things:

In the UserH20 tab can you unprotect the column of cells to the right for a users water description.
I use Libre Office and the brewdday sheet shows kg as #.###### can you round it down to 3 decimal points

Dont know if this is possible but thank you so much for the sheet Vikeman
All the best

Dang. I hadn't seen this and I just uploaded version 7.1. I'll address these in the next incremental update. Sorry!

BrewCipher 7.1 spreadsheet is now up for download.

New/Changed in Version 7.1:

- Added Novotny Refractometer Model option (in addition to Terrill Model)
- Added experimental Efficiency Sensitive SRM Model
- Cleaned up some Brewday Print Me sheet formatting

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Enjoy.

BrewCipher 7.1 spreadsheet is now up for download.

New/Changed in Version 7.1:

- Added Novotny Refractometer Model option (in addition to Terrill Model)
- Added experimental Efficiency Sensitive SRM Model
- Cleaned up some Brewday Print Me sheet formatting

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Enjoy.
Thank you VikeMan

Great work

Hi VikeMan,

A quick question, should the details from "Step Mash" show up on the "BrewDay Print Me" page?

Suggestion/request: ascorbic acid in the mash pH calculator.

I take it you're using ascorbic acid for pH adjustment? I'm not sure I had heard of that before. Or are you adding it for oxygen scavenging and want to predict the impact to pH?

I'll have to ask Utahbeerdude if he's interested/willing to add it. BrewCipher uses his pH model under the hood. I could conceivably graft it on myself, but would be reluctant to do that, at least not without his ok.

For oxygen scavenging. I don't use much, but I have no idea how it affects mash pH. Maybe insignificant?

I believe one gram of Ascorbic Acid is roughly equivalent to about 0.5 ml of 88% Lactic Acid.

I believe one gram of Ascorbic Acid is roughly equivalent to about 0.5 ml of 88% Lactic Acid.

I'm finalizing a recipe for a wheatwine. RO water mineralized to British levels, 150ppm Ca overall. With ~1/2 the salts in the mash, no acid needed, mash pH is at 5.45. Adding .5g/G AA (.25ml/G 88% lactic), the pH drops to 5.38.

Not a huge change, but not insignificant.

Thanks

When I try and use this spredsheet it prompts me for a password when I go to the water tab and try to enter something. It says to go the review tab and click on unprotect sheet. When I do it prompts me for a password.

Any advice here?

Thanks,

DMF

When I try and use this spredsheet it prompts me for a password when I go to the water tab and try to enter something. It says to go the review tab and click on unprotect sheet. When I do it prompts me for a password.

Any advice here?

Thanks,

DMF

Which spreadsheet did you download (.ods or .xls)? What spreadsheet program are you using (Excel, OpenOffice, LibreOffice)? Here's some information from the readme file...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you will run BrewCipher under Apache Open Office or LibreOffice, download the .ods version.

If you will run BrewCipher under Excel or Gnumeric, download the .xls version.
----------------------------

The following apply if running in Apache Open Office:
- Download the .ods (not .xls) version of the BrewCipher workbook.
- When saving your workbooks, be sure to keep the .ods format. Do not "Save As” any other format.
- If you want to be able to use the grain bill scaling function, you’ll need to enable macros in OpenOffice’s application
settings (not just for the document). To do this…
o Tools -> Options -> (expand) Load/Save -> VBA Properties -> (checkbox) Executable Code -> OK
- Understand that user-saved “generic” water profile targets won’t be properly displayed in OpenOffice. Recipe-specific
profiles and default available profile targets display fine.

The following apply if running in Gnumeric:
- Gnumeric for Windows is no longer supported by gnumeric.org. However, the last Windows version is still available for
free download from Gnumeric
- Macros Do Not work in Gnumeric for Windows. You don't need macros to use BrewCipher, but the automatic scaling
functions won't be available.
- Occasionally, Gnumeric for Windows won't let you type into a cell that should be editable. Double clicking on the cell
seems to fix that.

I'm running Excel Words 2007 and I downloaded the xls version. When I click on a box to try to enter my grain type a message comes up saying it is read only and is protected. When I go to the review tab and click on Unprotect Sheet a box pops up and demands a password.

DMF

Looks nice, would be nice if there was also a metric version with Liters, Grams, and °C, EBC etc.

Looks nice, would be nice if there was also a metric version with Liters, Grams, and °C, EBC etc.

It doesn't have EBC color (SRM only), but you can select Metric on the Brewhouse Parameters tab.

I'm running Excel Words 2007 and I downloaded the xls version. When I click on a box to try to enter my grain type a message comes up saying it is read only and is protected. When I go to the review tab and click on Unprotect Sheet a box pops up and demands a password.

DMF

I just tested Brewcipher (BrewCipher_V7.1.xls) on an old machine with Excel 2007 and it works fine. The cells where you select your grain type (and any cells that are blue) are definitely not protected. Are you sure you downloaded the .xls version? If so, are you sure you didn't (double) click on an adjacent cell that is protected? That would cause the message you got. Cells that are not blue input cells are protected intentionally.

Back