Brewbucket Pressurized Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All -

I have a 7 gal SS Brewbucket. I'd like to do a pressurized cold crash. I have seen the solution of plugging a gas post into the 17mm hole on the flat lid. That is slick. I have also seen the 1.5" TC flat lid adaptation with either the Blichman or Spike 1.5 TC" gas manifolds. Also slick.

I should probably just leave it at one of those, but I would prefer to use the SS domed lid - both to give myself some more headspace for fermentation and to have a more robust pressure container - maybe get up to 5psi with the domed vs flat? I do also want a pressure gauge and pressure relief.

I have the brewbucket in the first place because it fits in the fermentation chamber I have and I can use it to cold crash. Not a ton of extra headroom in the ferm chamber though.

The SS brewtech domed lid has a 3" triclamp port. The Blichman or Spike manifolds would do the trick, but I'd have to first convert from 3" to 1.5" TC, and at that point the headroom in the fermentation chamber will be tight/not workable and its just one more connection to clean.

Anyone know a solution to attach directly to a 3" TC that would have a gas post, a pressure gauge, and pressure relief/spunding valve?

EDIT: depending on your setup and what you want to do - this might be a better answer

Last edited:
I was in your shoes a year ago or so. MoreBeer carries the domed lid with a 1.5 TC. It's for the Chronical but it fits the Brew bucket. It comes with a pressure relief valve on the dome already. Norcalbrewingsoutions.com carries a 1.5 TC with corny gas in, with and without a pressure relief valve.

I don't see an option for a pressure gauge from Norcal, but Blichmann or Spike has one, I believe. All of that will definitely raise the height of your fermentor, maybe too high for your chamber. And all in, with the lid and attachments, it is a large chunk of cash...

I ordered the Morebeer lid...I didn't want the relief valve so I sent it back. I just wanted to stream CO2 while dry hopping. And not open the lid. I deal with the cold crash via a Mylar balloon attachment. I solved my problem with a drill bit/1.5 TC bulkhead from SS Brewtech, I was already using the 1/2 inch blowoff attachment.

So I rigged some plastic quick disconnects for the blowoff, the balloon, my CO2 tank, and an adapter to fill the balloon. I pressure transfer through the blowoff at 1 or 2 psi. And I have two fermentors so all the disconnects added up. Here's a picture of one to my fermentors post soft crash, post dry hop, waiting for the cold crash:
IMG_3559.jpg

I hope this helps, Cheers! Rick

That setup with the QD for the balloon/CO2 is slick. I have been trying to avoid a balloon (space issues, PITA to swap out, OCD with not being able to sanitize). But this definitely eliminates the PITA swap problem - and I like being able to flow CO2 at the same time if I ever get into dry hopping.

I didn't see the 1.5 TC domed lid somehow. Thank you! That would probably leave me just enough space in the ferm chamber to put a Blichman or Spike manifold w post/gauge on top. I do like the idea of having a PRV somewhere in the solution as a safety. Pricey and doesn't let me flow CO2 while opening the lid, though. 🤔

Sure wish Brewtech had a domed lid with two ports built in.

By the time I'm done ninja'ing all this together just to make something that fits in an old dorm fridge, I may be well on my way to a chronical/flex and glycol chiller...but then the real problem solving would begin - how to explain that setup to SWMBO next time she goes in the garage :)

Back