Brew stands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryB

Reaction score
At the point I need to built the 3 level brew stand. I have seen some made from wood but that scares me with the heat of 3 propane burners. What is your opinion on material choice? I can buy steel but that ups costs and I am trying to keep this as low budget as I can.

I know you're trying to keep it low budget, but if I was going to make a 3 level brew stand I would really go with the Blichmann Top Tier. I would be to worried about the stability of a 3 level system if I made it on my own. Good luck.

I ordered my square stock from McMaster, since I couldn't find anywhere locally that sold 6' lengths. This setup allowed me to used minimal steel to hold the kegs, just had to add some angle iron to hold the burners.

brew stand.jpg

I am a fan of strut. It is strong as <bleep> and pretty easy to put together in lots of different configurations. I paid about $225 total at http://www.strutchannelfittings.com/ getting pre-cut lengths and fasteners but you may be able to find it locally and cut it yourself cheaper.

Here's the thread that got me interested in strut: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=363128

If you go with strutchannelfittings be sure and use their current coupon code for a discount.
My structure:
20160408_072733_zps7uswddyg.jpg

If designed properly, wood is not a concern. Strut may be easier to work with, but likely a bit higher $$ due to the price of the steel and hardware.

If I were you, I'd check out some of the rigs in the picture thread and see if any of the wooden stands appeal to you. Maybe price some lumber vs strut material and see what you think.

If you are hooked on brewing and plan to do it for years, it may be worthwhile to build a stand you really want now, even if it costs a few dollars more.

If price is really a concern, look for a metal scrapyard in your area. I usually find something useful every time I go down to ours. It's probalby about time now that winter is over...

I am a fan of strut. It is strong as <bleep> and pretty easy to put together in lots of different configurations. I paid about $225 total at http://www.strutchannelfittings.com/ getting pre-cut lengths and fasteners but you may be able to find it locally and cut it yourself cheaper.

Here's the thread that got me interested in strut: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=363128

If you go with strutchannelfittings be sure and use their current coupon code for a discount.
My structure:

I'm a fan of strut as well, really easy to use and you can find it at big box stores.

View attachment 1461001696311.jpg

I was looking at Unistrut... Menards carries it and it is $12 for a 10' stick. I have a chop saw so no problems cutting to length!

My structure:

Wood will be done if you do your homework. Measure twice, measure again, wrote down the measurements and wait a day and measure before you have any home brew. Measure a 5th time before you make any curs and you'll be fine.

This process is the same worth a metal stand too, but seriously, just keep making measurements and you'll be fine.

I don't find the heat an issue with the stand itself, but I did warp vinyl siding behind the burners and I keep reflectix over my mash tun while the HLT burner is on.

IMG_5399-1.jpg

I have since turned it around so the BK is near the sink for using my immersion cooler.

I've used minitec for prototyping/building large robots before and imagine that if I ever build a 3-tier stand that'll be the first material I investigate using: http://www.minitecframing.com/

I'm not sure where I'd source it though, I've lost touch with the robotics team I worked with, and I think the team lead knew a guy and we mostly used odds and ends acquired at deep discounts.

It's nice because the channels and connector bits they make turn the construction into basically a big erector set, you only need a saw to cut pieces to length.

It's a shame you dont live near me. I have scrap steel sitting behind my barn begging to be welded. The three friends that do brew of mine either rarely brew anymore and wouldnt benefit from one, or have no need for one.

Before I built my stand, I used boxes as a tiered system with my banjo burner on it and I never ran into a fire hazard issue. If you do go with wood and want a little more peace of mind, just tac on some thin gauge metal sheeting on the parts where the burner(s) will be, but I dont think this is necessary.

I was looking at Unistrut... Menards carries it and it is $12 for a 10' stick. I have a chop saw so no problems cutting to length!
I think I paid about $4 a foot shipped when I bought pre-cut strut at strutchannelfittings.com so even with tax your $1.20 per foot looks like a good buy. OTOH, I didn't have to cut a single piece of strut and it took maybe 30 minutes total to assemble my structure.

Brewstand has been top on my list. I have a bunch of toys I've bought waiting for it's completion. I started out reading that thread before and there was continuous discussion on burning off the treatment of the steel. What was the final conclusion on type of steel to use on the burner level without dangerous fumes? I'm just looking to buy and not have to do any additional treatment to the strut.

I was digging in my shed and ran across these, forgot I had 2 of them. 24x36" if I bolt 2 side to side I have the setup for a horizontal brew stand. I might elevate the HLT burner so I can gravity feed the mash tun. I need to clean both up, evict the mice(my shed is not mouse proof, new garage is!), sand them down and add a coat of high temp paint to the tops. I might add a heavier plate of steel on top to handle the weight but I have stood on one of these! So add a pump, some quick connects, and go mostly horizontal for my brew setup... junk resurrected!

IMG_20160424_171432815_HDR1_zpsjznahicz.jpg

Shop around. Not sure if you have princess auto down there but it's cheap. I just bought all the steel for my stand for $47CAD. It's all 1" square stock. About 3/16" thick. Not sure on gauge as I didn't measure it and we'll when you buy cheap steel they don't really say. It is quite heavy though. I was able to get 4 - 8' lengths for that price.

If you use galvanized just burn off anything that is in direct flame. Rest of it is fine and won't get hot enough to off gas.

If your welding this make sure to grind off the coating as well or your welds won't be strong. Wear a mask as I know a few people that have gotten zinc poisoning from the dust.

Back