Brew Stand Set Up - What is the best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
I have a welder friend who is willing to build me any stand I want for only the cost of parts, even adding stainless steel tubing into the frame (much like the brew magic system). Anyways, I can go one tier, two tiers, or three and add pretty much anything I want. I want it to be versatile. It will be used for propane first. But I want to be able to change to natural gas if needed, or electric. What is the best? What is everyones suggestion? I am new to this. Any help is appreciated!

1 tier, with pumps.

Get some nice mounting spots for the pumps and a chiller and you're golden.

Multiple tier's is a pain and even more dangerous. The only reason to do so IMO, if you don't mind using pumps, is if you don't have the horizontal space needed for a single tier setup.

WHere would you mount the pumps? Underneath somehow and shield them? What if a boil over happens or something ? Whats the common practice to protect from this? And would I need 2 pumps or three for a 1 -tier system?

HokieHomeBrew said:
WHere would you mount the pumps? Underneath somehow and shield them? What if a boil over happens or something ? Whats the common practice to protect from this? And would I need 2 pumps or three for a 1 -tier system?

You can manage almost anything (e.g. HERMS) with just 2 pumps, although depending on your system, you may need quick disconnect hoses in order to switch them around so that the pumps can perform multiple tasks.

The pumps only work when mounted lower than the liquid source and destination (e.g. MLT and boil kettle), so yeah, they need to go underneath. I also recommend a plate chiller (or a traditional CFC) that can be mounted underneath the frame as well.

The pump motors DO need to be shielded, and I took my cue from Kal of TheElectricBrewery for this: Blichmann pots come with a thin, rectangular piece of metal, meant to shield the sight glass from flames, if needed. I simply bent the metal sheet into a "U" shape by hand (really easy), and the pump fits nicely under the curve, shielding the motor from drips or whatever. Even if you don't have any Blichmann pots, your welder friend should be able to pick up a couple similar thin sheets of metal for cheap, and should actually be able to weld it to the frame and make a nice little housing for the pumps to protect them even better.

Originally I thought a single tier, 3 keggles with 2 pumps was the best. Now I am happier with a 1 kettle, 1 pump BIAB system. The point is you need to read, research, look at all the threads with pics of systems and if possible go find some local brewers that you can brew with to see how it all works. Lots of people build a system and then continually change it before starting over again - Guilty as charged!

Single tier RIMS that holds 2 vessels (MT and BK) with 1 pump for me, FTW. Yes the pump is shielded, when I was welding my pump shield together I thought to my self "What a waste of time" First brew on my new system, splash right on the shield. Trust me its needed.

Also as mentioned create what is best for you. I love my system, but I bet 50% of brewers would hate it cause it doesn't fit their needs.

Yeah well thats sort of the problem. I have to wing it. RIght now I just have the 9 gallon pot and cooler mash tun. So this is a major upgrade...never had one before so I'm not sure what is for me just yet....so I want to make one that can be messed with if needed. For instance, what if I set it up for propane and then later I get a gas line installed? How easy is that to convert? Do I have to get all new burners? And does the gas manifold work for both propane and gas?

I would think the only difference is the plumbing hook ups to the burner, a manifold is only a tube that holds gas or what ever else you put into it. I know with propane bbq's you have to set them up for NG. It really comes down to how much you want to spend and how much lifting you want to do. Maybe you can find stuff in the garage that you can use to mock up a single tier (Like old boxes or storage containers) and a 2 tier, and a 3 tier and see which one you like the best.

Dont forget though, although a single tier will be the most expensive to build due to the cost of pumps it will be well worth it. There's gotta be a reason so many of us use it right?

Back