Brew stand help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
I want to build a rolling brew stand with as small a foot as possible. I am tempted to buy one as it seems almost cheaper than making one. But i have some spare wood so i cant help but think i could try to make one way cheaper. I have 3 really good wheels that go every direction with bearings. No pumps, nothing special, just some storage and a stand. Appreciate any ideas. My plan is 2' by 2' boards framed with 2"x2" cleats. 15 gallon kettle is 18 ". Want to maybe Mount the PID up high but like the idea of keeping it way out of the way and storing it underneath when not using

View attachment 1496202354287.jpg

I personally would not use 2x2 anywhere that matters. Remember, they are actually 1.5x1.5
I wouldnt want to trust an in and a half of wood to keep 10+g of boiling wort from falling on me.

Use 2x4 for the structure. I recommend using the butt joints this guy used on this shelf, unless you have the capability to do something fancier.
http://davewirth.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-build-garage-shelves.html?m=1
That's a very strong butt joints. Not the screw patterns. They are placed so that there is no worry of one screw hitting another and causing the wood to split.

For the top, you can get a small sheet of oak and stain it. Or, if you have a lumber liquidators around, you may be able to find a scrap piece of unfinished butcher block for cheap.

I personally would not use 2x2 anywhere that matters. Remember, they are actually 1.5x1.5
I wouldnt want to trust an in and a half of wood to keep 10+g of boiling wort from falling on me.

Use 2x4 for the structure. I recommend using the butt joints this guy used on this shelf, unless you have the capability to do something fancier.
http://davewirth.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-build-garage-shelves.html?m=1
That's a very strong butt joints. Not the screw patterns. They are placed so that there is no worry of one screw hitting another and causing the wood to split.

For the top, you can get a small sheet of oak and stain it. Or, if you have a lumber liquidators around, you may be able to find a scrap piece of unfinished butcher block for cheap.

Preciate it much. Wasnt thinking I needed that much, but sure, 2 x 4 frame pocket hole screwed would hold great. Need plan for pid, with 2 x 4 could support upper placement I guess.

Pocket hole would be very nice and can be very stout when done correctly.
You could run one of the vertical supports/legs up a few feet more, then install a couple of scrap pieces on horizontally with gate hinges and install your box on that. It could swing out and away from the kettle when in use and in and against the kettle when not, keeping it compact. You could probably device some latch locks to keep it in place if you desired.
Also, something to consider I'm putting on my wooded stand I'm designing, is a large drawer. 6.5" deep with a few dividers(my stand is much wider). That way, all my salts, hops, hydrometer, nutrient, etc is on the cart and ready to go but away from the wort. No running around finding something. I already have some heavy duty drawer glides left over from another project so it's just a matter of a few cheap 8X1 oak stick and a chunk of ply.

Now, another option for single vessel is finding a cheap kitchen cart/island.

Back