Brew Pubs in Richmond VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sager Brewing Co.

Reaction score
I am in Richmond this week and looking for a good place for food and beer, I looked on Google and found a place called Capital Ale House that looks nice. Anyone know of any other good places? I am in downtown Richmond and I don't want to drive too far, unless its for really good beer.

CAH is probably the best in the whole of central VA, but it's not technically a "brewpub", as they don't brew their own beer. It's just a restaurant/bar with whole bunch of great taps and bottles. Highly recommended! As for a brewpub, Legend Brewing is a big local one, and they're at 321 West 7th Street.

+1 Legend Brewery! As a matter of fact the brew club I belong to (James River Homebrewers) has the monthly meeting there and its this Wed night @ 7pm 6:30 or so for taste sharing if you're interested stop by!!!

Well I went with Capital Ale House for Dinner tonight, I must say It was an over all good experience. The only down side is they allow smoking. I did not notice though until someone in the booth behind me lit up, so they do a good job of filtering the air.

I started off with the St. Goarge Cask IPA, my first cask ale and It was very good. I ordered the sausage platter and the Victory Prima Pilsner for dinner, both very good.

I was very happy to hear that they sell all of their bottled beers to go, I came back to my hotel with a sixer that includes:
St. George IPA
Orval Trappist
Erdinger Pikantus
St. Remy Rochefort 6
Pinkus Munster Alt
Dogfish 90 min IPA

I will probably have to go back once or twice while I am here. I may try Legend too, but its a little farther then I wanted to drive and I would have to cross a bridge. Capital Ale House has at least some of Legend's beers so I may just try them here.

If you're downtown, check out Penny Lane Pub. I don't know the exact address (google should work). I've eaten there once, they don't brew their own beer, but the food and beer is English--and good.

There's an Irish pub downtown, I can't spell it, but it sounds like Shinae's.

There is an actual brewpub downtown called Richbrau. It's in Shockoe slip, the food and beer is good there as well.

Hope that helps some.

Legend's brewing is a the only other brewpub in Richmond, its on the other side of the river, but truthfully you can just pick up their beer in local grocery stores, I don't care much for their food.

Penny Lane is on Franklin at 5th (maybe 6th). Bangers and mash, Guiness pie, and the like. Greasy and awesome. Brew pickin's are rather slim, though.

Sine is the Irish place Mr. Lion is trying to recall. It's on Cary in Shockoe Slip. Across the street from Sine, roughly, is Richbrau. The beer's OK. The food's OK.

Really, come join us at Legends on Wednesday night. Most of the bridges are free (no toll) and not that bad to cross.

Sorry about the smoking. Welcome to Philip Morris' headquarters.

hey mikfire speaking of the brew club I just talked to a guy at the other day that told me about it. as of now I'm planning on going.. I've lived petersburg/richmond area as long as I can remember and I don't think i've ever seen lengends. I know the area though i'm sure i'll find it.

for the original post I know theres hops in the midlothean area never been there but I hear they're pretty good. resturaunt/brewery.

Back