Brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddStark

Reaction score
Got about ten batches under my belt during the last year. Have decided kinda like this hobby and need to invest a bit more. My brew pot is ss and I bought it as a kit. Problems I have with it: no matter how much I stir I always seem to get scorch marks on bottom of pot. Also before pot gets to a boil it rocks back and forth. Actually believe this rocking action cracked the glass top of the stove. Please suggest quality pots that can easily handle five gal batches that shouldn't have the above issues

The 2 good cheaper pots that will come up the most are Concord and Bayou classic.They have endless positive reviews.Then you move up to higher end more expensive pots.I have a Concord and it will last forever.Find it on EBAY

I doubt the pot rocking because the bottom warped caused the glass top to crack, that's much more typically the result of excessive heat - which may well have occurred because the pot bottom wasn't efficiently conducting heat from glass top.
But kettle bottoms will warp with heat, and switching to a larger kettle will just increase the likelihood of the same thing happening again.

Find a different heat source...

Cheers!

I've seen the pots rocking back and forth before. I'm assuming the kettle is a single layer bottom? Those are slightly convex and will rock. I'd recommend a tri-clad bottom pot.

My old aluminum used to rock a little on the stove top. I recommend a concord.

The Concord kettle is a single layer as well. It'll have the same rocking issue. Also there is a lot of info out there on the Concords being a very low quality stainless steel.

The Concord kettle is a single layer as well. It'll have the same rocking issue. Also there is a lot of info out there on the Concords being a very low quality stainless steel.
I couldn't tell ya about the rocking as mine has a heating element inside the pot and wouldn't effect it.That being said For every one negative review there are hundreds of raving reviews.Mines been going for years without a single issue and looks like new.Anyone worried about the stainless quality is WAYYY overthinking it...Its a pot and does what it should and wouldn't doubt the quality for a second.I would think there are some here that use them on the stove.I've never seen a single thread regarding them warping.Not saying its not possible,I've just never seen one.

fwiw, how a pot performs on a gas-fired stand has about zero bearing on the OP's predicament - aside from serving as a testimonial about switching heat sources.
Without even seeing it, I'd wager the OP's pot would work fine atop any heat source other than a glass top range...

Cheers!

I couldn't tell ya about the rocking as mine has a heating element inside the pot and wouldn't effect it.That being said For every one negative review there are hundreds of raving reviews.Mines been going for years without a single issue and looks like new.Anyone worried about the stainless quality is WAYYY overthinking it...Its a pot and does what it should and wouldn't doubt the quality for a second.I would think there are some here that use them on the stove.I've never seen a single thread regarding them warping.Not saying its not possible,I've just never seen one.

I wouldn't say it's over thinking it. I make something that I ingest (sometimes in high volumes). I would prefer not to be ingesting lead, cadmium or other heavy metals. Also some of the threads I have seen show rusting issues. My thought is it's probably somewhat common but economy buyers don't care as much. They just want the cheapest possible product.

ToddStark,

Check out the tri-clad Concord kettles. I'd guess that the heavier bottom would stay more flat than thin metal would on a glass stove top. Plus you're likely to end up with less scorch marks since the heat is more evenly dispersed.

Or switch to a gas burner.

Good luck!
Pliny

I greatly appreciate each of you sharing your expertise with me. You all have given me options, terms, and names I was not familiar with until you each pointed them out.

Thanks again, now to start searching on the options you have provided.

SS brewtech 10 gallot pot :)

I had a bayou classic for a long time too, but the bottom is single layer I have never really had a problem with scorched wort though. Maybe your temps are too high? Or maybe it's the nature of glass top stove since they kick on and off rather a nice consistent heat a flame would give you. The SS brewtech is nicer for not allot more money. I refuse to use my glass top for the kicking on and off reason, and because it would take forever, where you can buy a burner for under $50 and cut your brew day time way down.

Also spikes is supposed to make some nice pots.

Back