Brew Panel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uatuba

Reaction score
I've finally pulled the trigger and decided to get into Electric Brewing. We have relocated so I haven't brewed in quite a while, as space has been limited. Now that I'm close to finishing a shop/brewery, I decided to ease into the electric brewing world.

I have a 30 A 125v NEMA-L30R receptacle and 25ft NEMA-L30R cord. Since we moved shortly after I purchased these items and the generator I was going to use them with is no longer functioning, I'd like to use them for my 240V brew panel. Is there any practical reason this wouldn't work? I can't see a problem with using the two hots on the neutral and hot screw for the receptacle and the using the cord as needed (a short section of it connected to a 50A 240V plug which powers the panel, and the longer section connected from the 30A plug to my 5500w heating element).

I know it's not conventional, but I am the only one who will be operating the panel and I know not to plug a 120-v appliance with a NEMA-L30R plug into my brew panel, so I'm not worried about code in that regard. Thanks for the help!

While the cord is probably rated at least 300 V, the plug and receptacle are rated for 125 V max. Sure you could hook the two hots from a 240 V circuit to the screws on the 125 V receptacle but is that a good idea? I'd say "no" because the voltage rating of a component is there for a reason - the component was designed and constructed to operate only within its stated rating. It might handle the higher voltage just fine, for a while, and then the insulation could begin to breakdown increasing the risk of a short which could lead to an increased risk of fire.

Electrical components, if appropriately certified and when used within their rating, are essentially assured to operate safe for the anticipated life of the component. Plugs and receptacles, provided they are not messed with constantly, will last many years with no issues. If used outside of their rated voltage or current, all bets are off - no assurance that it will be safe. I personally would not take that risk as the cost of buying the correct components doesn't even come close to the cost of dealing with a fire in your house.

A 125V, 30A circuit is a rare animal. Do you really have an L5-30 plug/receptacle or is it an L6-30 (much more common) which is rated for 250V @ 30A?

Brew on :mug:

I've finally pulled the trigger and decided to get into Electric Brewing. We have relocated so I haven't brewed in quite a while, as space has been limited. Now that I'm close to finishing a shop/brewery, I decided to ease into the electric brewing world.

I have a 30 A 125v NEMA-L30R receptacle and 25ft NEMA-L30R cord. Since we moved shortly after I purchased these items and the generator I was going to use them with is no longer functioning, I'd like to use them for my 240V brew panel. Is there any practical reason this wouldn't work? I can't see a problem with using the two hots on the neutral and hot screw for the receptacle and the using the cord as needed (a short section of it connected to a 50A 240V plug which powers the panel, and the longer section connected from the 30A plug to my 5500w heating element).

I know it's not conventional, but I am the only one who will be operating the panel and I know not to plug a 120-v appliance with a NEMA-L30R plug into my brew panel, so I'm not worried about code in that regard. Thanks for the help!
I would NOT bastardize any circuit. Have a licensed electrician wire in a 240 volt circuit with a GFCI breaker and have peace of mind. Also, if you would accidentally have a fire your insurance company won't be able to drop you.😉

Back