Brew Panel layout and cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornandraisedlv

Reaction score
So I have ordered all of my parts and have my box and will be cutting everything out this weekend. My plans are at this moment to measure and draft everything out onto paper, make the cuts on the paper and then trace those cuts onto my panel.

As I have never done anything as plotted out as this I am looking for a little advice on the best way to go about getting the entire layout of my panel on it in a way that makes it easy to follow the lines and or center my drill bit on.

If you cover the whole surface with masking tape or painter's tape you can use a ruler and a pen to draw lines and get everything centered. Then you can drill right through the tape.

I found it helpful to actually position the buttons and switches physically on the box. It helped me make sure I wasn't getting anything awkwardly close to an edge, or placing something so close to the sides that the lid wouldn't hinge open.

Make sure you take into account the space need inside for connectors and wiring. Crimped connectors add 1/2" off the back of switches, the wire adds a little bit more. Think about this stuff before cutting. Ask me how I now. One more little thing, make your cut outs a little bit smaller than you think. If you end up with a component that doesn't fit quit right, get some Sugru to shore things up. This stuff is amazing. https://sugru.com/

Depending on the depth of your enclosure, if you have any double stack switch blocks (I didn't use PIDs but they could be an issue too) you want to make sure you don't have interference issues with the layout of components on your back plane. I made the mistake of drilling all the holes for my switches but then laying out and wiring all my back plane components before the switches were installed. Because my enclosure was not as deep as it should have been some of my double stack switches hit things on the back plane requiring some changes and rewiring. Probably not a mistake most people other than myself would make but something to keep in mind.

Depending on the depth of your enclosure, if you have any double stack switch blocks (I didn't use PIDs but they could be an issue too) you want to make sure you don't have interference issues with the layout of components on your back plane. I made the mistake of drilling all the holes for my switches but then laying out and wiring all my back plane components before the switches were installed. Because my enclosure was not as deep as it should have been some of my double stack switches hit things on the back plane requiring some changes and rewiring. Probably not a mistake most people other than myself would make but something to keep in mind.

Luckily I was gifted a 12x12x6 box so I have plenty of room for my basically eBiab style controller. 1 ezboil, key on switch, power on led, element switch, element firing led, and 2 pump switches. Plenty of room with this box.

Here is a very poorly drawn draft of what I am planning on cutting this weekend.

IMG_1296.jpg

Latest posts

Back