Brew Pal software in the iTunes App Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What version of iPhone OS are you on? I'm assuming your on the latest (3.1.3)

We can always hope that the app gets updated for 4.0 with some fixes.

I found a bug. iOS4, jail-broken. I can't add decimal places when I try to put a hydrometer reading in. It also will not take more then one number. So, aparently my gravity is 5.000 on my Belgian pale ale. :p

I found a bug. iOS4, jail-broken. I can't add decimal places when I try to put a hydrometer reading in. It also will not take more then one number. So, aparently my gravity is 5.000 on my Belgian pale ale. :p

I am experiencing this bug as well in iOS 4 as well. My device is not jailbroken, however so it appears to be a matter of updating for iOS 4.

I haven't read the whole thread, but are there any plans to port this for Android. My AT&T contract is up come August, and I'm planning on getting some sort of Android phone.

On his website, he says he is working on the decimal point thing. For a way around the problem try copying a decimal point in another app and pasting it where you need it in BrewPal.

Hopefully the update will bring some new features...like maybe a conversion table for all brewing weight and volume conversions. A boil timer that will update you without the timer being open (actually I'm not sure if it does this or not, just assumed it didn't)

Just won an Ipod touch and a $25 Itunes gift certificate from work.
I downloaded Brewpal v1.69 as my first app.
Just figured out how to save and export a test recipe I created :mug:
Cant wait till 1.7 releases with the import xml recipe support so I can "sync" with BeerSmith ( that will be killer )

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

I am still getting use to the software but the first step was saving a recipe.
Once a recipe is saved you need to load the recipe ( click to the right of the option of deleting the recipe) Once the recipe is loaded you have the option of exporting the recipe to an email address. This is all done in the save/load/export menu.

Cheers;
Steve

New version (1.6.10) was submitted to the App Store this past weekend. I had to back out of a lot of changes I was in the middle of working on to get the iOS 4 decimal point working without breaking other stuff! :) New in this version:

- Decimal point works (!)
- Improved support for steeping grains
- Hop substitution suggestions ("info" button in the lower-left of the Add Hop view)
- Preliminary BeerXML *export* support (import coming in 1.7)
- Larger "Settings" gear icon
- Added a few grains and hops to the database
- Miscellaneous UI tweaks
- Code cleanup to reduce memory usage and hopefully fix a few crashes

Sorry for the delay in iOS 4 compatibility, and thanks so much for your continued support!

Dave

Also wanted to point out that yes, there were memory leaks. The new version of XCode (development tool for iPhone apps) is much much better at finding and displaying exactly where the leaks are coming from. I fixed ALL known leaks, as well as a few double-free instances that could cause crashing. Ideally you guys should never have to care about this, but since it was brought up in this thread I wanted to address it. Brew Pal should not be crashing, but if it does, let me know by sending a detailed crash report to [email protected] and I will take a look. Thanks!

Dave

Woohoo update is finally available from App store. Thanks again for the great App. Here's hoping for xml import soon. I have two friends who now have BrewPal and I'd love to share my recipes.

I upgraded to OS 4.0, then immediately downgraded my 3G iPhone back to 3.1.3. I'd like to report the new version of BrewPal requires 4.0 for installation, but the previous version still works great.

Jason

I'm doing a brewing video with my new iphone4, it has some screenshots from brewpal, I will give credit, hopefully it will bring some new customers.
also just checking that that's ok with you

I had to click "check for upgrades" for iTunes to tell me about the upgrade.

The program appears to be much more stable than before. I ran through some of the stuff that used to crash me out. I haven't tried formulating a recipe with it yet.

BTW, I'm not terribly happy with OS4. I have to reboot my iPhone once a day.

Picked up the App last night. First of all I just want to say it is an awesome, fun to use app that I am using to create two recipes for an upcoming homebrew session.

However I have some questions about the yeast functionality:

Can I change the Pitching Rate? I have a pale ale recipe with an estimated starting gravity (post boil) of 1.061 that the app reccomends 222 billion cells as a pitching rate which is two liquid yeast packs.

I have used only one pack or vial before at this gravity with fine results. Can I change this in the app? Won't it mess up the recipe's results if not?

Thanks, in advance, for any help!

- DCMayhem

I formulated my first recipe with it and crashed out when I got to the yeast. But that could be OS4. It's crashed practically every program I have.

But the number pad doesn't work when creating a custom yeast. And when you are entering attenuation percentages and temperatures, the number pad is kind of important.

The work around is copy all the numbers you need for the name, temp, and attenuation and then delete what you need out of the line.

So, is there any way to get recipes from a backup? I had to rebuild my iphone from scratch, and now all my recipes are gone. I'm sure they're on a backup. If I restore that backup, Can I export all my recipes as one file, then reboot the phone and get them back?

Thanks
B

Bought the app today, and I must say, well done! Easy to use, a ton of information, and a great UI. The only thing I wish it had, is information on the various hops, such as the flavor/aroma profile. Granted, this is just my own preference, and even without that it earns an easy five stars. Thank you for giving us an awesome tool to use, at a great price. :rockin:

One thing I noticed is that if the name of the recipe is too long, you can't click on the "Save" button. Also, a way to edit the name of a recipe would be good, unless I am missing it, which is very well possible.

I have a first generation iPod, and unfortunately, I can't put the update on there since they've capped the gen1 iPod at OS3.1. This sucks, because brewpal is easily my favorite program for the device, and one of only three I use every week.

I just bought a Droid X, and I'm hoping that someone releases a program as nice for it. ;)

Is anyone else having issues with the new upgrade (on BrewPal) and version 3.1.3 (iOS)? Everytime I open BrewPal it shows "loading" then closes after 15seconds or so....

Is anyone else having issues with the new upgrade (on BrewPal) and version 3.1.3 (iOS)? Everytime I open BrewPal it shows "loading" then closes after 15seconds or so....

Oh crap! Yah, me too, just "upgraded" my version today. I'm still on 3.1.2 so I guess maybe I should just restore to 4.0.1. I just don't wanna lose my jailbreak & internet tethering...:cross:

Mine won't start either. I emailed them a month ago and have not received a reply.

I have a recipe that ferments in primary for 10 days and then requires dry hopping. I noticed on the fermentation timer that Brewpal put my date for dryhopping 3 days after pitching yeast and then racking the secondary 7 days after that. Nobody dry-hops in primary so why is Brewpal telling me to dry-hop after only 3 days in primary. I can't seem to find any setting that pertains to this problem so I think it's another glitch.

Any suggestions?

I erased it from my phone and reloaded it from the App store. It worked I just don't have any of my saved info.

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that yes, there was a bug in the 3.1.x support with 1.6.11. I submitted 1.6.12 to the app store today, which has been tested on 3.1, 3.2, and 4.0. If you have iOS 3.1 and Brew Pal will not load, never fear--your recipes ought to be safe once you update to 1.6.12.

Latest posts

Back