brew morn-1st date dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
Hopefully this goes better than the one on Tuesday...

This is based on Schmidt's Dark which you can buy at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in Columbus. My wife and I went there on our first date, hence the name.

1/2lb of Amaranth soaked and then boiled for 30 minutes
1lb of dark toasted millet
both steeped in water at 145 for 45 minutes, strained out, sparged and then return to boil.
Add:
3lbs tapioca syrup
3lbs brown rice syrup
2lbs D180 syrup
8oz molasses
8oz maltodextrine
1.25 tettnang
with 15 minutes left at .5 tettnang
at zero at 1oz hallertau

Pitch WLP838 at 70 degrees

In one week add 4oz vodka infused with chocolate

OG: 1.078--phew, it worked this time!

Smells great and looks the way I'd hoped. The sample was pretty sweet up front with a nice finish. This could be really good.

Wow, looks great! Keep us updated with tasting notes! I'm especially curious as to what the millet adds, as I'm planning some millet experiments myself.

I bottled this today. I lost nearly 1 gallon to trub--and that was with racking it twice! Before bottling I added 1oz of homemade chocolate extract. Everyone warned me to be careful using extracts but I couldn't taste any chocolate. Hopefully it will come through after it conditions in the bottle. My hydrometer broke so I don't have a FG.

This was my first brew experience not using any sorghum. While the sample tasted pretty good, it needs something more that I find the sorghum does add.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what.

Latest posts

Back