Brew Magic Users!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killervector

Reaction score
A little help? I just got mine yesterday, and just ran the water only run today. All went great, except I can't get the last of the "wort" or water as it is now out of the kettle. It drains right down to the opening, but leaves about 1.5 inches ABOVE the false bottom. What gives? Shouldn't the elbow siphon the water or wort from beneath the false bottom? There's like 2 gallons left!

i don't have a brewmagic, but you should definitely be able to siphon down to below the top of the false bottom. Sounds like there is a leak where the diptube connects to the kettle's port and it's breaking your siphon.

Yes. Check your TC connection inside and, what are you using on the out port of teh kettle? A hose?

Are you using a Chill-Wizard?

Basically, whatcha got between the kettle and the fermenter?

Yes. Check your TC connection inside and, what are you using on the out port of teh kettle? A hose?

Are you using a Chill-Wizard?

Basically, whatcha got between the kettle and the fermenter?

good point, GMB. If there's nothing connected to the output port, the siphon will stop as soon as it reaches the port.

Didn't even think about that.

I don't have anything connected. I thought it would still act as a siphon though as long as the level of the bucket I'm draining into was lower than the bottom of the kettle? So if I attached a hose to the port on the outside the siphon would continue? I have a chill wizard on order, but haven't recieved it yet. It just has the stainless ball valve on the outer port.

I never took physics though..... LOL

Well, after a lot more thought... I figured it out. I was thinking I had a siphon going because the elbow went to the bottom of the kettle. After reading what you guys said, it got me thinking more clearly. I just need to have the outflow much lower than the bottom of the kettle. DUH! I am so embarassed I even asked... LOL

Thanks for the fast responses!

Don't be embarassed. It is an easy fix.

However, be advised that you may experience a similar issue once you have your chill-wizard implemented as the pump can cause the siphon to break. What happens is a vortex can be formed at the siphon inlet as the wort is being drawn in by the pumps, albeit minimal, suction. If the vortex goes deep enough the pump will cavitate and the spihon is lost.

On my system, I find it is easy enough to fix by simply turning off the pump for the last gallon (basically just as the wort gets down to the top of the elbow inside the kettle) and let it gravity drain through. the end result is usually a cup or less of wort left behind. Provided you don;t have a ton of sludge trapping additional wort left in your kettle. But that is another lesson.

Cheers and enjoy your toy. I enjoy mine.

gila-

Do you have your chill wizard mounted onto your brewmagic stand?

Nope.

If not, do you just set it on something to use?

Yes. The concrete. Same stuff the BM is on. :D ;)

You do realize that the CW is a stand alone chiller station mounted to it's own stand? Right?

Not trying to sound smug or rude, but you said you had one ordered right?

Sounds to me that you don;t really know what you are getting for the $6-$700 you are spending on it. Shameful!

You should look into it more and then start thinking about how you are going to manage trub and hop sludge.

No, I haven't ordered one. They are going to use my therminator to build me a chill-wizard, which will save me some money. They are on a 2 week break right now, and so they won't be able to make one for me for awhile.

Yes, I knew it was a self-contained unit. I've watched the vids, and love the job I think it will do. One of the best features I like is in-line oxygenation. Its just hard to tell how big it is and whether it could be mounted to the stand.

The false bottom doesn't keep trub/hop sludge out?

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input.

No, I haven't ordered one. They are going to use my therminator to build me a chill-wizard, which will save me some money. They are on a 2 week break right now, and so they won't be able to make one for me for awhile.

Yes, I knew it was a self-contained unit. I've watched the vids, and love the job I think it will do. One of the best features I like is in-line oxygenation. Its just hard to tell how big it is and whether it could be mounted to the stand.

The false bottom doesn't keep trub/hop sludge out?

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input.

The CW ends up being about 18" tall all assembled onto a 12-14" square plate with rubber feet. It's small enough to store on the BM shelf but "I" wouldn;t even consider hard mounting it to anything.

Once you get yours you'll sort out how to place the thing to get the best flow into and out of it to minimize losses.

The inline is noce too but can get tricky unless you have an accurate regulator that can meter 1 to 3 psi with ease. most welding regs barely start to work until 3 psi is already passing through it beyiond that and you're just blowing foam into the fermenter and wasting O2.

I love the FB's in the BM but anything smaller than crushed grain will just pass right through it and into your Therminator. Lots of way around it depending on your budget.

Real quick... Gila- What do you mill your grain to?

They recommend 70 thousanths of an inch. Seems awfully coarse to me.

What has your experience been?

Thanks!

I have a Philmill which is ok. I am planning on starting at around .050 and see what happens. The manual says .070 which seems just too coarse to me. Thanks for all your tips.

Chad

Back