Brew in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argodzilla

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in mash right now. I am using beersmith. When i added my grains to the strike water and took a temp reading I was at 141. So i drew some of the mash water out of the ball valve and heated it. I ended up at 164 as i heated to great a volume. I then added some cold water to bring the temp down to 154. I started the 60 minute timer when my temp hit 154. At the 50 minute mark I am going to draw some off for an iodine test.

The sparge is calling for a 2 step process add 2 gallons (i am guessing it is looking for the temp to be raise from 154 to 168ish with the first sparge to help get the sugars ready for draining and then 4.89 gallons at 168.... Am i understanding this right?

Am i brew screwed already?

This is my second all grain batch and lets just say the first batch didn't go so well.

Thanks for all the information guys!

-Matt

Well, I have hit my numbers.... or close... preboil gravity was 1.043...target was 1.040.
But I am ok with that...

Maybe not screwed, the "interesting" mash profile might have a dextrin shift that only fermentation will reveal...

Cheers!
Been a while since I tied a fly. Thanks... In the grand scheme of things I think I recovered pretty fast, so let's hope the "interesting" profile didn't do too much. The rest of the brew went perfectly.

RDWHAHB! It may not taste just as you expected, or maybe it will. Either way it'll probably be fine.

Hmm hard to say if you screwed up, 164F may kill the activity of beta amylase, but not quite instantly. The amount of activity lost depends on how long your wort stayed at 164F. If you end up with poor fermentability (higher than expected FG), at least you know why. But it may turn out to be a decent beer.

Then there must be something wrong with your initial strike water temp calculation now. You should check what you have entered in Beersmith. What kind of mash tun are you using and what is the tun specific heat value & weight in Beersmith and did you enter correct grain weight and strike volume?

Last edited:
We won't know for a bit yet on the fermentation, in will post back. Could it be that i just took to long stirring out the dough balls? It was probably 38 degrees where I was brewing. I think my beersmith equipment numbers are just a bit off. 10 gallon cooler tun, i had it in beerswmith as 10 lbs....i was under on the weight by 0.9 lbs. I used the right volumes....

Back