Brew in a Server Rack (BIASR)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcalistor

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to brewing. I did a few extract brews many years ago and recently decided to take up the hobby again. I told myself I wouldn't bother ever going all grain... then I did a partial mash... told myself I wouldn't bother going all grain... maybe.... now I am hell bent on going all-grain for my next brew.

I'm going all electric and like many of you, on a budget. You're all welcome to critique my build:

Google Spreadsheet Link

Digikey SchemeIt Link

I was given a large server rack (49U) and decided this would make a great framework for a 3 (or 4) tier gravity rack.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Can't link to your data files. It requires log in and password.

Regarding your PID. If you secured the SYL2352 from Auber Instruments, it can be powered from 120V without modification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why use a 50a breaker on a 30a outlet? I used a 50a outlet, wire, and plug.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GIS2K8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGVZ30/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I also used a GFCI breaker. Then I added a 30a breaker to my control box and everything is safe. This also lets me use my Tig welder on the same outlet with a simple adapter.

Good idea. Right now I'm utilizing cords, outlets and receptacles that either I already have or have easy access to. I'm planning on using a regular 50A CH BR250 breaker and then a $60 spa disconnect panel for GFCI protection.

I have an electrician coming out soon to do a survey; looking forward to getting my house wired up for this and a welder some day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't link to your data files. It requires log in and password.

Regarding your PID. If you secured the SYL2352 from Auber Instruments, it can be powered from 120V without midification.

Bummer, can anyone else confirm this? I've tested the link from several other browsers that I'm sure I'm not logged in to and it seems to work, but it wouldn't be the first time I've had problems sharing data files from Drive.

If it's any consolation, I'm sharing the schematic directly from digikey. The only problem I'm having is the labels of my objects do no survive saving and reopening.

Digikey SchemeIt Link

I can open them with no issues, but I'm also on Drive. A non-Google user may have issues, try logging out of your Google account and accessing the share.

Back