Brew in a Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Maybe a worthless thread, but in building a big starter for an Imperial IPA I miss-calculated the volume and ended up with a little bit extra. Rather than dump it out, I put it in a 1-liter bottle and added some leaf hops. I figure I will let it go for 3-4 days and then simply secure the flip top so it will finish in the bottle to carbonate. OG 1.062, Wyeast American Ale, several Amarillo cones.

biab.jpg

I like to experiment too. Anytime I use a new yeast, I make at least an extra liter of starter and decant that extra one off before I pitch. That way I have the exact same yeast if it does something unexpected or the beer turns out better than anticipated. That way I can replicate beers for competitions.

Time to open this up, this nasty bottle that has been sitting for about four months. Upon opening, nice hiss of carbonation, the hop cones were all pluggged up in the neck of the bottle. Poured a nice color, tons of sediment and chunks, but the flavor was interesting at best. Not bad, bright, grassy, malt up front with some citrus notes on the finish. An interesting experiment but not one I'll repeat.

bib1.jpg

bib2.jpg

bib3.jpg

Back