Brew in a bag malt liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTDan

Reaction score
I'm tempted to give my friends in the brew club a hard time by brewing malt liquor. One gallon is enough. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make malt liquor using the BIAB method?

Dan

Take a cream ale recipe (American 2-row or 6-row malt and corn flakes) and add a little sugar to boost the ABV to 6.5% or 7%. Nothing more flavorful like Vienna or Munich or crystal malts. Mash low (like 148 degrees.) Don't increase the hops to compensate, if anything reduce them a little. Use lager yeast, or something very neutral like Nottingham.

For 5 gallons, I might use 1/2 oz of Cluster hops and 1/2 of some kind of noble hops or Willamette.

BTW, I'm interested in Malt Duck recipe. :D

I made one with equal quantities pilsner, Munich and flashed corn for OG of 1070. I used three hop additions using continental European hops for about 20 IBUs. I used 34/70 for yeast. I passed a lot of it around to friends and the local clubs, and got told it tasted like malt liquor. I liked it, it was fun to make.

I can't recommend any of the recipes in this thread. I tried them and suddenly was blackout drunk on a dirty mattress in the woods.

Back