Brew Frame Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdog

Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever used or seen the 10 gal. brew stand made by Fermentap? I use three 15.5 gal converted kegs for AG brewing. Morebeer claims the Fermentap stand will work with converted kegs. I just wonder about stability, and the quality of the burners. I couldn't find any mention of the stands on Fermentap's website.

I built my stand very similar to theirs. I think mine's probably more stable, though.

I use the same kinds of burners, and they're plenty good enough for 10 gal batches.

BTW - I built mine for less than $100. :D

2480.jpg
brew%20stand%20in%20action.jpg

Not to hi-jack the thread, but where'd you get your metal at Sparky? I can weld it together, but haven't found a cheap place for metal. I'd be more than willing to drive up to Aggieland and have a beer and a Monster if I can get the materials cheap up there.

It's 2" steel that was scrap and I got it from a family member (who lives close to Magnolia) absolutely free. I can probably get enough to make another stand. Send me a PM if you want and I can see if we can get you some steel. ;)

Buying the steel from a supplier should run less than $75 for the amount this stand requires. What kind of prices were you finding?

Sparky, yours looks much better. Really nice.

Jester, look for unwanted bed frames. You can usually find them on the side of the road on trash day. Perfect for a brewstand!

Steel prices have gone way up so it is tough to find deals. Bed frames make good brew stands also and you can pick them up at scrap yards.

Mine cost me $225 in steel to build 5 years ago.
dscn3101.jpg

Dude said:
Sparky, yours looks much better. Really nice.

Very kind, but on closer inspection you might change your mind. Mine is NOT professionally done, but I built it on a budget and it was my first time welding, so I'm proud of it regardless. I wish I would've hard-plumbed the propane lines like they did - maybe next time.

Thanks for the help Sparky. Bed frames....I NEVER thought of that. And now that you all have mentioned it...there must be 4 complete frames in my Grandmothers garage for beds ranging from Full to King. Time to make a trip to see Grandma. I had been looking around at HD/Lowes and it looked to be a few hundred for metal to build a stand similar to Sparky's/B3's. So I went to 2 steel fabrication plants up the road asking to buy scraps and was turned down at both places. This being AFTER I offered to bring a keg of beer up there one afternoon for everyone to drink while I picked out scraps. Kind of put it on the back burner after that.

There was a guy locally selling a 3-tier, 2-burner stand with a CFC for $100, but I'm trying to save up for when my wife has our second daughter in October. So any costly beer related spending is on a hold for a while. She didn't say no to ingredients though. :)

Well, if the bed frame idea doesn't work out, I can probably round up enough scrap steel for you. We go over there every once in a while anyway. Either way, you can't beat free, right? ;)

Back