Brew fermentation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello

I could use a bit of advice. My beer has been in the primary for a bit over 72 hours and i am not sure that it has started to ferment. I have read through the sticky thread on fermentation and still have a few questions.

So my beer is a Wilkinson hoppy copper bitter, i used 500g spray malt and 600g brewing sugar. i pinched the yeast at 19 degrees Celsius and it is around 21 degrees as it sits now. I have never bothered to use a hydrometer before, as i have never had an issue with the kits and fermentation has always been obvious. But this time around not a bubble from the air lock, and im pretty sure that my fermenting bin is air tight.

However i have just brought myself a hydrometer and have tested my beer and it gave a result of 1.014. As i did not take a reading before i pinched the yeast i have nothing to compare it to. is this reading enough to tell if my beer is doing anything at all?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I have had a sneeky peak under the lid and as i lifted up the lid there was a slight escaping of gas. only a small amount of foam on top of the brew. so i hope that something has happened.

I would guess it has done something. An original gravity of 1.014 would only be about 1.5% abv.

well at least i haven't ruined a batch. But as i normally just bottle straight from the primary, will it be fine to go ahead and do that now? Its just i have never bottled something after 72 hours before.

The SG of 1.014 indicates fermentation did start. It may not be done. Take another gravity reading in three days. You could leave it in the primary longer for yeast and sediment to settle out before bottling.

Back