Brew day gone bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
Had one of those nasty unrecoverable brew day events today. Ended up putting about 12 gallons of wort down the utility sink drain late this afternoon.

I was gonna do my first parti-gyle today with an English IPA followed by an English Bitter. So I mashed in with 28 lbs of grain in my herms system. Here is where things went astray. I just about always adjust my water as Seattle has very soft water. I figure out my salt profile I'm going to use and measure them out in one of those little plastic cups like you get with a side of salad dressing or mayo in a restaurant. So I had measured my salts out, which were more than normal as I was mashing in with 10 gallons of water for the first run.

A bit of flashback is necessary here. The week before the plastic baggie I keep my baking soda in was getting low so I asked my G/F if she could bring me some more down. So she went up and filled up one of those little plastic cups with baking soda, put a lid on it and brought it down and I put it in the container with all my other salts which are in baggies.

So anyway, today I mash in, turn around to get my cup of pre-mixed salts, and dump them in. Stir, stir, stir, recirculate and go tap a beer while the herms pumps away. I drain my first runnings, fire up the boil kettle and add sparge water to my grains. After a bit my kettle is just coming up to boil and I am skimming some of the hot break off the top. That's when I look over and see my little cup of pre-mixed salt additions. What da??? It took me a few minutes of thinking to realize I had dumped the entire little cup of baking soda into the mash instead of my pre-mixed salts.

Ahhhh sh*t. Maybe it's not so bad. So I figure from past useage that the cup most of the way full probably holds at least 30 grams. So I punch that into my spreadsheet with 10 gallons and it says I got about 230ppm of sodium and all kinds of bad alkalinity and PH. I taste the wort. Yup, tastes sort of minerally with a definite mild sodium presence to it. This was going to be a beer for entering in the NHC first round and no judge is gonna miss that off taste. I turned it around in my head several times, tasted the wort again....yick. Then drained the mash tun, cooled and drained the boil kettle, and down the utility sink drain with it. There was no saving it, no covering up that backround mineral sodium taste. At least I caught it before the hops or yeast fell victim.

That sucks! Here's my last really bad brew day:

About a year ago I was doing an all grain batch on the kitchen table in my apartment. I mashed into my cooler, everything is going great, and then it's time to mash out and sparge into the BK, so I put the BK on the floor under the cooler and run a tube down to it. I dump in the sparge water, crack open the valve on the MLT and let her rip, and figure the sparge will take a while so I go into the office to take care of paperwork. When I come back the entire kitchen floor is covered in wort, as I had left the valve open on the kettle, so the first couple of quarts looked fine when I was watching it, but once it got above the level of the valve nothing stayed in.

Sorry for your loss! I mentioned in a precious thread I had a near similar experience. I opened the freezer to get some ice crea, after brewing a stout and saw a paper bag that said "Stout Hops" and I went "What did I just put in that brew?" Well it turns out that I bought hops when I went to the LHBS a week early to make sure I got the oak cubes and some other vital stuff I needed, and then bought hops again on the brew day when I bought grains.

Damn that sucks! I almost had to dump my batch of Tripel on Saturday. Perfect brewday until I was chilling the wort. My water in connector to my chiller was leaking into my wort and I didn't notice until I had 8 gallons of watered down wort. Not having a second floor window to jump out, I took a gravity reading (1.045) and decided to make a Belgian session beer. Adding some honey to boost it up a little, too. Took the other 2.5 gallons and dumped it in a 3 gallon fermenter and pitched a spare pack of s-05, don't know what that one will come out like. Funny how one little thing can ruin (or alter) a great brewday.

Condolences. This soft Seattle water is strange to me. Just did my first adjustment to it yesterday. Hopefully I did it right.

Yeah, I've done a few things before I could deal with like forget the whirlflock, put the wrong grain bill in the mash, or dump a bit of starsan in the batch thinking it was water. I've also started filling the kettle with the valve open like Wierdboy, but I was there to see the wort running out and only lost a cup or two. (losing the whole batch must have really sucked. You lose the beer, and have to clean it up)

I just have to find a new place in the schedule for a re-brew. I was planning something different next weekend for a different local competition, so the schedule is kinda tight.

It helps hearing the other bonehead mistakes we all make sometimes.

Now I don't feel so bad about my $6.25 mistake on Friday... took a gravity reading on the wort... holding the hydrometer tube in the left hand, grab the hydrometer with my right that has a glass in it, then pour the sample in the glass... drop the hydrometer back into the tube... as it knocks the bottom plug out of the hydrometer tube... and accelerates at 9.8 m/s^2 until it hits the patio... :-(

Back