Brew day from Hell. Stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinhead

Reaction score
Without a lot of details, my braided steel supply line collapsed during yesterdays mash causing a stuck spurge. After a few attempts to get it going again, I had got about 2 gallons down before it completely shut down.

I ended up putting a little of the grains in a strainer at a time and pouring the sparge water though it.

estimated FG was 1.64 act was 1.50. recipe calls for 3 Oz. of citra in the dry hop.

I hate to add another $9 of hops if the batch is ruined. What do you guys think? No dry hops, reduced hops? or put it all in.

Hmm. Your FG was 78% of the estimate. Is there any reason not to just cut your hops to 78% of the original amount all the way down the line from boil to dry hopping?

It's time to get a nice fine mesh bag to line your mash tun. With that you can just lift it up a bit to expose more filter area. No more stuck sparges.

I use a bazooka SS mesh screen in my mash tun too but I wrap a cylinder of heavier SS screen around it. I did this in 2014 and have yet to have a problem with the bazooka collapsing or becoming damaged when I stir the mash with a large spoon. Grain does get inside the outside cylinder but not enough to compress the bazooka screen.

I used Allstar Performance (ALL22265) 1/8" Opening Stainless Screen, 1' x 3' from Amazon to make the cylinder:
71bf5HdsCBL._SL1500_.jpg

I've never had a stuck spare. Twice I have forgotten to put my manifold in the mash tun.

It's time to get a nice fine mesh bag to line your mash tun. With that you can just lift it up a bit to expose more filter area. No more stuck sparges.

+1

And I'll gladly recommend wilserbrewer to purchase from. He's a member of the site and provides a great product at a great price.

I use a braid from a 3/4 inch water heater supply line. It is heavy enough that it is impossible to collapse it. 6 years - about 80 brews some with wheat, some with rye, Pumpkin and Spaghetti Squash. I have used rice hulls some and have never gotten a stuck sparge. The closest was once when a layer formed on top of the grain bed. Some pokes through the top layer with my measurement dip stick and the flow started well.

I often think that it is the flimsy braids from toilet supply lines.

I use a braid from a 3/4 inch water heater supply line. It is heavy enough that it is impossible to collapse it. 6 years - about 80 brews some with wheat, some with rye, Pumpkin and Spaghetti Squash. I have used rice hulls some and have never gotten a stuck sparge. The closest was once when a layer formed on top of the grain bed. Some pokes through the top layer with my measurement dip stick and the flow started well.

I often think that it is the flimsy braids from toilet supply lines.

It was one of the flimsy ones. My old one must have been stronger never had a problem I think I going with the bag.

Latest posts

Back