Brew day 2 with my Dad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided that I wanted to do another "beer brewing sunday". Then I got the idea to call up my dad and have him come over and brew with me and have a few beers and shoot the proverbial breeze. Off to the LHBS I went and picked up another Bucket and a kit of Cream Ale. Came home, sanitized everything, a knock at the door and my Dad comes in to join the party. Everything went smoothly, the boil went off without a hitch, I let my Dad do all the ingredient additions while I monitored the temps and made sure everything remained clean (Hey with 3 other people coming through the kitchen, you can't be too sure right?).

After the boil, the wort was cooled in the sink like last time, this time with the help of some added weight to the top of the Pot to help keep it from floating and stirring all the precipitated particulates back into suspension. This wort looked a LOT different than my brew from Last sunday. It looked cleaner as I poured it into the Primary, more sediment had fallen to the bottom of the pot. I was very excited that I got the temp to 70* so quickly and had thoroughly mixed the Wort, aerated it, and pitched the dry yeast packet all on schedule.

This was about 7:30 last night that the Yeast was stirred in and the Primary was set in the 72*F closet to ferment (hopefully). Everything is going as planned, thus far. So I ate some dinner and napped on the couch. This morning I woke up, checked the primary and what do ya know, Fermentation! Just like with my first batch, the fermentation was steady, about once every 4 seconds on this one. Now... we wait. :mug:

Congratulations....You Lucky DOG!
A lot of us never got to brew with our Pops!
Cool thing about yeast....They usually try and make beer no matter how hard you try to stop them! :D

Yup, this is something that I will remember for the rest of my life. Hopefully the memory of cracking that first beer open from the batch we brewed will be a "good" memory. ;)

Sounds like a good time. My parents are spending the year traveling the country, so I doubt that I can get my dad to a brew day any time soon, but I'll have to keep that in mind when they get back (if they ever decide to come back!)

Ok, I just got home from work, 12 hours have gone by and it looks like the fermentation has ceased?!

Whats the shortest ferment with outgassing possible?? It probably only fermented for 16 hours max.

Ok, I just got home from work, 12 hours have gone by and it looks like the fermentation has ceased?!

Whats the shortest ferment with outgassing possible?? It probably only fermented for 16 hours max.

If you used something like Nottingham, this is entirely possible as it ferments quite fast at times. The answer you'll probably get mostly on this forum is to check it with your hydrometer, because that's the only real way you know its done fermenting. Steady readings after around 3 days makes it likely it is done. Also, just because there are no bubbles in the airlock does not mean it isn't fermenting. Hope that helps!

Jason

72 degrees ambient is a little hot, your fermentation could actually be 10 degrees warmer or so b/c the yeast are active and giving off heat. My first brew was around that temp (inside the fermentor it was probably 78 or 80) for the first 2 days and the majority of fermentation occured in less than 48 hours... you could be too hot? If airlock activity is the only thing you're going on, then it probably isn't done... pop it open and see if there's krausen and perhaps take an SG reading? I'll probably get bombarded with hate for telling you to even touch it yet but I'd be freakin out too...

Thats a great idea. I'm going to plan a brew day with my dad too. looks like its going to have to wait until spring now its getting a little cold out now.

I am going to just relax and wait it out. I used a packet of dried yeast by "Windsor", says 11g net weight. Probably 9g of actual yeast went in.

I am absolutely not going to crack the lid open and take a peak this early in the game. No sense in ruining anything that wasn't broken to begin with. One rule for newbs, if it isn't broken, dont break it by trying to fix it.

Now... Onto a BURNING question that I have had for some time now about these brewing buckets. Why have none of you modded them with a window so that you can peer in and have a look see? Do they make these? (Besides the glass carboys - good luck finding the 6.5's)

Latest posts

Back