Brew Day 11-14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting stuff set up for tomorrows brew, BM's Black Pearl Porter. Anyone out there have a good Porter water profile I could use as a starting point? I'm messing around with the additions now, I can get it malty, but my Na gets pretty high also.

Made up my starter last night (London Ale), and she's looking good! I use 2000ml water 200g DME. Boil for 10mins. I usually end up a perfect 040, but last night I ended up at 047. I guess I boiled it too hard. (I also ended up with only 1800ml) No worries! It will be fine.

I hope to fire up the keggle early. I'll post updates and maybe a few pics then.

TTFN

Ok finally got my water adjustments figured out. The keggle is fired up, everything set up and just waiting for water to hit 180 for mash in. 3-doors down playing in the background

so far so good. mashed in with 180 water and ended up at 158.5 :ban:
just checked the ph after i added the salts and got a 5.6ish

the dead is playing :rockin:

mash out complete, started the sparge. Heres to hoping no stuck sparges due to the flaked oats!

linkin park jamming

well sparge didn't go as well as I had hoped. I was shooting for 168-170. It ended up more like 162-163 for the last 30 mins. I guess I didn't take into account it being cooler out side than during the summer. Usually I can hold my temps for an hour in the cooler no problem at all.

well snap! my OG est was 070 and I came in at a 051 I guess the low sparge temps hurt me. Maybe I should have went with more like a 1.25 qts/lb grain instead of 1.40 I would have ended up using more than 3.5 gals of sparge. I dunno. I'm sure it will still be tasty. :eek:

Latest posts

Back