Brew-daddy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
My buddy has a kegorator for two cornioes. No brewing equipment. He ships 50# 2-row and a dozen ounces of cryo hops to my house. I provide the dry yeast and he gets two kegs of beer.

He may or may nor show up on brewday. My wife probably prefers that he doesn't.

What do you think? I get 5 gallons of like beer. But provide propane and a bunch of all-grain labor.

Would you be good with that?

Your wife is 300% right! (she needs to think for you and your buddy there too, hence the tripling).

During these times, keep your social distance.

You brew, you ferment, you keg.
When they're ready, leave 2 kegs at the end of your property for him to pick up 2-5 minutes later.

My take:
There's no point in using cryo hops in the boil, or anywhere above 150F. I'd substitute those with regular pellets, and get 2 kegs out of it for myself.
:tank:

My take:
There's no point in using cryo hops in the boil, or anywhere above 150F. I'd substitute those with regular pellets, and get 2 kegs out of it for myself.
:tank:

I agree I used the kryo hops only for dry hopping into the fermenter.

This time I used a pound of Amarillo in the kettle and the time before I used a pound of Azacca.

This time I used a pound of Amarillo in the kettle and the time before I used a pound of Azacca.
So you brewed it already? What volume?
I get 5 gallons of like beer. But provide propane and a bunch of all-grain labor.
Would you be good with that?
I've been thinking about that question. Is it "equality of input," what you're referring to?

It may hinge on how good of a buddy he is. For example, I would do it for my brother, my cousin, or a very good friend, etc., someone who aside from the beer also appreciates the time and process involved. These are tasking times, extenuating circumstances and lenience apply.

Given all the work and time you put into it, your buddy owes you, supplying the ingredients isn't equal compensation, IMO. Unless you were brewing anyway and your system is big enough to include the extra 10 gallons for him. It takes almost the same time and effort to brew 20 gallons as it takes 5 or 10. Or a double 10 gallon batch, back to back.

I hope he'll reciprocate in some way when life, hopefully, becomes more normal again. Being good friends goes a long way.

Yes, we've done this a few times. I think the question is more about is it fair / is it worth it.

My volume is 15 gallons finished into 3 kegs. 40# of grain in a 70-quart mash tun

This was the batch before last...

Recipe: 092 I have a dream - NEPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 21.27 gal
Post Boil Volume: 19.27 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 17.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 16.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %