Brew class at LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
3/24 my LHBS is having a free “How to brew beer” class. Every brew day is amateur hour for me. I’ve read a lot on the subject, here, books, talked with other brewers, brewed maybe a dozen batches of different sizes. I’ve always been a hands on and visual student over a book worm. Not to say books don’t have their place or that I don’t learn from them, just not the best source for me.

I’ve made some good beer, not so great beer, same with cider and wine. I’ve only made one raw cider, which is yeasty and acidic which makes me sweat. Can’t say that I’ve even come close to great beer or cider.

Can’t wait, but one issue is I either need to make sure I can bring my son or find a babysitter. I’m sure they’ll be fine with him coming. He helps me on bottle day, loves capping, and sometimes on brew day.

I took one at my LHBS before my first batch. It was a pretty basic class geared toward extract brewing. I had been reading quite a bit before hand, but still learned some stuff, mostly sanitation tips. Another shop in the area has an all grain class, but I did not take it before jumping into all grain.

Heck, I think I have the hydrometer down. Key word is think, not sure. Can’t wait.

IDK? I find brewing rather easy. If you can follow a recipe to cook it should not be too difficult to brew beer. In June 2011, I bought an equipment kit from Northern Brewer and an extract Irish Red Ale kit as my first brew. I started the ferment too warm as I had misread the directions. On advice from NB I did a primary for 2 weeks and a secondary for 2 weeks then 3 weeks bottle conditioning. In the mean time I brewed their Patersbier kit as my 2nd. It actually was ready first. Both were good.

5 months after my first batch I did my first all grain batch. By that time I was very comfortable brewing and the transition was a piece of cake.

From then on it was a lot of reading. Differing levels of comprehension on the details and more brewing. With each batch I learned a little, adding to that, a bit at a time by reading. Now I am getting into more advanced stuff and further refining my techniques.

After a short while there was very little that a course at a LHBS could show me that I didn't already know about. Not to say that someone at the LHBS might have a technique that I might not know and would be interested in.

There's a lot to be learned over the years in brewing, but I think that the number 1 thing that will improve your brews is to learn and use good sanitation. So many off flavors are caused un-intentionally by not properly cleaning and sanitizing all equipment. Getting friendly with the local homebrew supply store owners and workers, and the other brewers that hang around there, is sure to yield good knowledge and wisdom for you going forward. Also, you may find a local homebrew club to join. It all helps and is fun. /cheers

Latest posts

Back