Brew Bucket techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose5

Reaction score
Trying to pull the trigger on one of these. Couple of questions. Have they upgraded their gaskets? What is your technique if you get a cooled wort in and discover you have a leak?

I bought mine a few months ago and found that the lid gasket seals well. Just make sure that gasket is pressed firmly into place in the channel on the lid all the way around after cleaning. I connected the blowoff tube to a CO2 Harvester with 1/2 gallon jars, and it all worked fine when I cold-crashed from 65F to 39F. The Starsan in the 2nd jar of the Harvester was drawn back into the first jar (as it's supposed to do), without any apparent loss of suction.

One thing to watch for--the position of the dip tube. I had the dip tube pointing downward, and forgot about it on bottling day. When I racked, I got a bunch of trub initially and had to rotate the valve so the dip tube was pointed upward. But that's on me and not a fault of the Brewbucket.

I like mine and will buy a second unit.

It appears they did indeed upgrade their o-rings as I used to order slightly thicker one's from www.theoringstore.com. I ordered the one's I have in the past when I ordered my two new BrewMaster Buckets and was surprised to see the included o-rings were now the same thickness.

Anyhow, you sanitize the fermenter before you fill it. That is where you determine if there is any leaking. If by some odd fluke you got leaking after putting in your wort you could either rotate the valve in the direction that tightens or you could sanitize a long rubber brewing glove (I use the one's linked below) and insert your hand gently into the wort and tighten from the inside. That said... I have never once in years of using Brew Buckets had a leak. I also never remove the valve to clean. I just clean very well around it. I also don't ever rotate the whole valve itself as they instruct, I use a sanitized plastic spoon to push the diptube down near the end to drain the last bit.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/blichmann-brewing-gloves

Rev.

Latest posts

Back