Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thanks! Did you cold crash? I have never had much luck with pellet hops settling, but have yet to cold crash to see the difference. Just dried hop in my carboy last night and will be cold crashing it to try to drop the hops as best as possible.

Got the bucket today now and looking forward to the next batch. Particularly excited about no more autosiphon and being able to rack and take samples from the valve.

Yes, I cold crashed.

I purchased 2 of these recently and they have been fantastic so far. Just make sure you give them a serious cleaning before first use.

Awesome thanks! Did you cold crash? I have never had much luck with pellet hops settling, but have yet to cold crash to see the difference. Just dried hop in my carboy last night and will be cold crashing it to try to drop the hops as best as possible.

Got the bucket today now and looking forward to the next batch. Particularly excited about no more autosiphon and being able to rack and take samples from the valve.

I dry hopped my last batch with 5 oz of pellet hops thrown directly into my Better Bottle. I cold crashed at 34-35 degrees for 2-3 days and all of the hops settled to the bottom. I was able to use my auto-siphon to get every drop of beer out without any clogging. Cold crashing makes a huge difference when dry hopping in my opinion.

Thanks folks about the cold crashing.

Opened up my brew bucket last night. As I've said I am looking forward to the functionality advantages, but I have to admit I am a little disappointed with the quality of the finish (i.e., number of scratches on it inside and out). I know it has no impact but I was surprised by how bad some of the scratches were on the legs. I find that annoying but what I find most bothersome is that there are several scratches inside (not crazy deep but I can feel them with my finger nail). Aside from that it seems to be well put together, and I look forward to using it in the next couple of weeks.

I totally respect what the company is trying to do, which is provide a better and new product at a reasonable price. I think these have plastic fermenters and carboys beat hands down, but I find the quality of the workmanship with respect to the finish a little underwhelming.

Just what I hope is a balanced opinion of my first impression....

Do you have pictures of the scratches? I know pics like that can be tough to take, but I would like to see what they are like for reference.

Thanks folks about the cold crashing.

Opened up my brew bucket last night. As I've said I am looking forward to the functionality advantages, but I have to admit I am a little disappointed with the quality of the finish (i.e., number of scratches on it inside and out). I know it has no impact but I was surprised by how bad some of the scratches were on the legs. I find that annoying but what I find most bothersome is that there are several scratches inside (not crazy deep but I can feel them with my finger nail). Aside from that it seems to be well put together, and I look forward to using it in the next couple of weeks.

I totally respect what the company is trying to do, which is provide a better and new product at a reasonable price. I think these have plastic fermenters and carboys beat hands down, but I find the quality of the workmanship with respect to the finish a little underwhelming.

Just what I hope is a balanced opinion of my first impression....

... I do wish I had put it closer to the center though.

20140222_115225_zpsykoyofxt.jpg
Actually, I think your thermowell is about right. As I posted on 3/8/14, I located mine about 75% radially outward and am finding it works great. When I toss the room-temp wort in my fermentation chamber and set to 50F, it overshoots a couple degrees, which is perfect since I (like many folks) prefer to pitch lager yeast a couple degrees below target temp. If anything, I might prefer it closer to the outside to minimize overshoot when cooling, but I'm not certain it would actually make any difference.

Mine:

184467d1394295965-brew-bucket-ss-brewing-technologies-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1394295965.075092.jpg

I drilled my thermowell hole in the dead center. Just fermented an Oktoberfest in it and it worked perfectly. For the size of our fermenters, I don't think it makes too much of a difference where you put it.

Can't believe I can get 4 of these in my little freezer. Well after a little smashing of the back plate cover it worked.

IMG_20140426_162753049.jpg

Do you have pictures of the scratches? I know pics like that can be tough to take, but I would like to see what they are like for reference.

Pictures of these are a bit tricky but here are a couple. This isn't the only leg that is scratched up like this. Inside you can see that the 5 gal etching is also partly rubbed off and then a couple of the scratches beside it plus one beside the 4 gal mark. There are lots like this inside and one that runs horizontally that is several inches long. Anyway, it is what it is but I expected better I guess. The cost of these aren't inconsequential....

photo 1-3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

How do you get a scratch on the inside when all that's in there is liquid?
Exterior will scratch depending on how you handle it. Look at any stainless commercial kitchen there are scratches everywhere.

How do you get a scratch on the inside when all that's in there is liquid?
Exterior will scratch depending on how you handle it. Look at any stainless commercial kitchen there are scratches everywhere.

It just got it three days ago. It is brand new and this is how it came. I haven't used it yet so that is my point of being a little disappointed with the workmanship. I know some scratches will happen over time, but don't think they should be so prevalent out of the box. Of course I might expect a few, but was hoping for better than this....

I love taking gravity readings from this thing, so freakin easy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It just got it three days ago. It is brand new and this is how it came. I haven't used it yet so that is my point of being a little disappointed with the workmanship. I know some scratches will happen over time, but don't think they should be so prevalent out of the box. Of course I might expect a few, but was hoping for better than this....

It's pretty well documented on here that Ss Brewing takes care of their customers, so instead of bitching on here, why don't you just call them and ask for a replacement? Those scratches are hardly workmanship issues, they are clearly evidence of poor handling. By who is open for debate. But it is something that can happen when using contract manufacturing during the rush to pack and ship by a careless worker.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's pretty well documented on here that Ss Brewing takes care of their customers, so instead of bitching on here, why don't you just call them and ask for a replacement? Those scratches are hardly workmanship issues, they are clearly evidence of poor handling. By who is open for debate. But it is something that can happen when using contract manufacturing during the rush to pack and ship by a careless worker.

I think it's crazy to ***** about the racking arm when, as already stated, you can just add a piece of silicon tube or tip the bucket. Seems to be a lot of unrealistic expectations being thrown at this product versus others. People pay a lot more for Blichmann but don't nearly gripe as much. I've had to clean every piece of stainless/aluminum equipment I've bought and they have always had some sort of residue on them. That's just SOP prior to brewing with anything.
Looks like your thread-policing isn't quite working yet. Maybe use more emoticons and exclamation points and folks will get the message to stop "bitching" about the product they paid for.

I haven't contacted anyone because I don't think it warrants returning it. I don't think this is going to be unique to mine necessarily. As you say it can happen during the rush.... Whether it is workmanship, handling... it is all during the production process so call it want you want. I am simply sharing my opinion, which has been what I believe a balanced and fair opinion of my first impressions. If you look at my posts, I have said it otherwise looks well put together, that I admire what the company is trying to do.... I haven't said a single negative thing about the company or have been a dick whatsoever in my posts. I was just a little disappointed by scratching and my posts have hardly been bitching (somebody asked me to put up some pictures so I obliged so they know what I am talking about). We should be allowed to share our thoughts about products we buy assuming they are fair and reasonable and not just simply bashing companies. Anyway, thanks for the tips!

So I have had my bucket for a month and have done 2 brews through it. My personal conclusion is that it is not worth the money.

It is actually the 2nd one, because the first needed to be swapped out for having welds that perforated the bucket itself. Morebeer was very helpful in that regard.

Here are my issues:

1. It ferments well, but the only benefit TO ME over a plastic bucket is you don't need to use a siphon when kegging. Not good enough to warrant the $225.
The trub settles in the bottom of my plastic buckets well enough that I can siphon off and leave the cake behind.
Clean up is so much less involved with a plastic bucket (for me).

2. After only a month, the rubber feet on the bottom of the legs have worn through leaving the sharp edges exposed. This lead to me cutting my hand today, as well as putting scratches on my floor.

3. Plastic buckets are easier to move around. You can grab a full plastic bucket with one hand and walk it around the house. When you grab the brew bucket you need to use 2 hands. This creates an awkward method to carry it around and gives me back pain in the process.

It looks pretty but I'll stick with plastic buckets. Just my review. I have contacted both SS brewing technologies and Morebeer to see what my options are. If I cannot return it, then I will post to sell mine here in the classified.

Oh my god, you better call Saul!

It's a tragedy that awful bucket jumped up and bit your hand and ran around scratching your floor. I'm sure you were no way involved in either of those incidents so the company should be sued into oblivion for your trouble.

I'm sure Saul can help you with your worker's comp case too. You do have worker's comp coverage for your homebrewing work right?

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

</sarcasm>

Quite honestly, I bought this product, gave it a chance and it didn't satisfy. I thought one of the purposes of this thread is to report out on how this product does. Clearly the title leaves it open for all discussion. Your sarcasm is uncalled for. Who made you the OP or the police of this thread?

Anyway, Morebeer has been extremely helpful with me and I wanted to thank them. I am dealing with them, and I have let SS brewing technologies know of my issues for perhaps insight into future design. I have no issue with them as a business, I just don't like this product.

Keep the conversation civil, allow others to have opinions that differ from yours, do not try to win an internet argument.

Back to the conversation.

So I have had my bucket for a month and have done 2 brews through it. My personal conclusion is that it is not worth the money.

It is actually the 2nd one, because the first needed to be swapped out for having welds that perforated the bucket itself. Morebeer was very helpful in that regard.

Here are my issues:

1. It ferments well, but the only benefit TO ME over a plastic bucket is you don't need to use a siphon when kegging. Not good enough to warrant the $225.
The trub settles in the bottom of my plastic buckets well enough that I can siphon off and leave the cake behind.
Clean up is so much less involved with a plastic bucket (for me).

2. After only a month, the rubber feet on the bottom of the legs have worn through leaving the sharp edges exposed. This lead to me cutting my hand today, as well as putting scratches on my floor.

3. Plastic buckets are easier to move around. You can grab a full plastic bucket with one hand and walk it around the house. When you grab the brew bucket you need to use 2 hands. This creates an awkward method to carry it around and gives me back pain in the process.

It looks pretty but I'll stick with plastic buckets. Just my review. I have contacted both SS brewing technologies and Morebeer to see what my options are. If I cannot return it, then I will post to sell mine here in the classified.

I've noted that the feet on mine aren't holding up either although scratching isn't issue where I am using it. My third batch is in it right now.

My only real issue is that it doesn't seal all that well. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to rely on bubbling for signs of fermentation, but I've been brewing for 20+ years and I do consider that. I've always fermented in carboys and that's never been an issue.

If Northern Brewer had come out with their Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler before I bought this I probably would have gone that route.

It's a good product. It does what it's supposed to and it is a valid option for a fermenter. I just wouldn't think of returning it after several uses because I like other alternatives better.

I also think it's reasonable to post your evaluations of this product in this thread, both positive and negative, so others can make an informed decision.

Yesterday was beer #3 in my SS Brew Bucket. I'm still very, very pleased with it.
First, while I can say it's not perfect, my first 2 brews in the bucket came out awesome and while I have no way of proving these beers are better than before I got the bucket, I am pleased.

I still have to use a siphon to transfer to my keg as my yeast in the first 2 brews was higher than the spigot! When I look at the cone at the bottom my first thought was that it wasn't deep enough. Still, not a big deal for me.
Next, the rubber feet. Mine have also begun to wear off after 2 brews. It slightly ticked me off but I had a beer and got over it. Still, that's something that shouldn't happen so fast when I've taken great care with my bucket.
Finally, the seal....yep, not as great as I expected. Both brews were under the 6 gallon mark and still, some wort was forced out the seal.

So, these are not perfect and I would expect to see some design changes as newer models come out. All in all, I'm very pleased and may buy a second one depending on how newer models change due to updates.

While my buckets feet aren't falling apart, I can see it happening with long term use. I'll have to keep an eye on that and report back if they do fail at any point.

My only real problem is the stopper for the airlock. Mine was sliced after the first insertion. SS graciously sent me a replacement, but it is the exact same thing and I expect it will get sliced just as easily. I have since bought a rubber grommet that is an OK size for the hole. I got it from here and I believe I bought item 2281: http://www.cableorganizer.com/grommet/?gcssku=OMAR-2281

Has anyone else noticed no airlock activity even though there is vigorous fermentation? I've not seen any movement in 3 airlocks and there's tons of fermentation going on. This happened on my second batch as well. I can smell the goodness, and see no evidence of a leak but there's just no activity.
The stopper is tight and I reseated the lid to be sure it's on correctly.
Ideas?

There's a leak there somewhere. I'd guess it's the lid seal but the CO2 is getting out somewhere. I've had the same issue with my Blichmann conical without ill effect on the beer. Still, much more satisfying to see the bubbles!

You guys aren't installing the new style gasket upside down are you?

If you look at the cross-section, it is shaped like a U. The open part of the U goes up. That way the rim of the bucket has to push the seal upwards a bit and pinch it against the lid (more pressure on the seal).

I've done several batches in mine so far and never had a leak. The lid clamps on with quite a bit of force on both of mine. I can't imagine how it could leak. Also, I've pressure transferred all of my batches out of the fermenter, so I'd know if it was prone to leak.

I've actually just thought of that as I typed my last reply. Hmmm, I did get the 'newer' gasket when I got my bucket and have removed and cleaned it each time I used it and am reasonably sure I have it on correctly but I will definitely check when I get home tonite and make sure. The lid use to feel tighter and it doesn't now so I'm wondering if that's it.
A big thanks for waking me up!

If you look at the cross-section, it is shaped like a U. The open part of the U goes up. That way the rim of the bucket has to push the seal upwards a bit and pinch it against the lid (more pressure on the seal).

I've done several batches in mine so far and never had a leak. The lid clamps on with quite a bit of force on both of mine. I can't imagine how it could leak. Also, I've pressure transferred all of my batches out of the fermenter, so I'd know if it was prone to leak.
Do you mean the open part makes contact with the bucket or, the open part goes up, facing into the lid?
I've watched the video on their site and have it where the U is touching the bucket.
I took the ring off, dumped it back in Star San, put it back on like the video (and like it's always been on) but didn't push it in all the way. I put it back on the bucket and it seems to have a seal now and I'm seeing airlock movement.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZZJRoStQ74#t=463[/ame]

I'm pretty sure mine came with the "U" of the seal facing down but what you say makes sense. I'll have to try that. Thanks.

That is weird...... the seal comes with the "U" side going into the lid and the flat side against the rim. But, in the video, it does look the opposite. I put mine in with the "U" side into the lid/flat side against the rim and it is a snug, air-tight fit.

***At least that is the way mine came.

i was actually going to say this as well. i've used my bucket now three times and the lid clamps so tightly that on my one batch which blew out blew the airlock and stopper off. nothing at all blew out from under the lid. i'm actually hoping the clamps don't wear out over time.

i'm pretty sure that guy in the video is putting the gasket in upside down.

i received a paper flyer with my order explaining that the concave side faces the lid.

for those having sealing issues, perhaps try installing the gasket with the concave side facing in against the lid and see if that resolves it.

cheers.

The concave section is bucket side

i don't think it is. i received a paper flyer with my order explaining that the concave side faces the lid. you can see in this poorly taken photo that the concave side should be facing up and against the lid. it's what allows the 'give' in the gasket. i could be wrong but it creates a very tight seal and this insert shows the concave side against the lid. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398803521.826269.jpg

FWIW, I've sent an email to SS Brewing to ask about this problem. If and when they reply, I'll post their reply here.
I've done nothing different but it's working now after just removing and replacing the same way (as shown in their instructions) but I just didn't put it in the lid all that hard this time.

Back